Hunter, Just Finished

S

Steve_G

I made this one for a friend.

Blade is 4.5" tip to plunge, CruForgeV
A hair under 9.5" OAL
handle is bocote,
304 stainless pin and thong tube
full tapered tang and machine finished blade.

First time doing any significant amount of tooling on the leather, it's OK, but my basket weave definitely needs some work. I left the thread gouges on the backside and the belt loop bevels un-dyed and think it makes kind of a neat contrast.

The other thing I really need is a light box.

gedc0129-0.jpg

gedc0126-0.jpg

gedc0125-0.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

That ought to be a really good all around using knife. I'm sure your friend will be very happy to get it. I always enjoy making knives for friends.

I think the sheath looks fine. Your tooling is better than what I can do. The stitching looks straight and even. My only suggestion MIGHT be to use waxed thread (which you may have done, just hard to tell from pictures) and after your done stitching run your stitching wheel back over the threads to seat everything.

Nice looking knife.

SDS

Thank you, gents. I appreciate the kind words and tips. I'll have to look into the waxed thread.

I forgot it was actually sort of a whittling knife rather than a hunter. I just got back from delivering the knife and he was very happy. :)

He better like that knife or you need to get a new friend.:D
Man my hand hurts just looking at all that tooling. :eek:
I think it looks good.
That tapered tang is a nice touch also.

Just to clarify on the waxed thread. You don't have to buy thread pre-waxed. You can buy a block of beeswax and just pull your thread through the corner of the wax before stitching. When I use thread that has been pre-waxed I usually have to drag it through the eye of a needle a few times to get some of the wax off. They coat the thread too heavily in my opinion.

The wax just helps the thread lay down and "stick" where I want it better.

SDS

Thanks again folks.

I have some bees wax, actually, in the first pic, the knife is stuck in a chunk of it. :) I will definitely be trying that tomorrow when I do a couple more sheaths.

Steve,
Great looking package ! The knife and sheath compliment each other nicely but I do have one suggestion. When stitching on your belt loop try not to stitch straight across the horizontal plane of the sheath. My understanding is that this causes a "Pressure Point" concentrated right on that one stitch so all of the integrety of the stitching is relying on that one single stitch. If the thread gives way in that one place you will experience the "Zipper Effect" tearing out right across the whole seam.

Many of the Leather Elders recommend a "U" shaped stitchline in that area.

Hopefully I've explained the properties of the zipper effect correctly but if not perhaps a post in the sheathemakers forum will get a response from Dwayne or Dave to better explain it.

Just one thing I've learned by doing it the wrong way myself a few times so I thought it was worth mentioning

Tooling looks great IMO though :D -Josh

Josh, I think I know what you mean and I think the way I do it is equally secure or maybe even more so.

I'll try to explain as best I can or maybe even drawing a picture will explain it better.

GEDC0133.JPG

GEDC0134.JPG

Even though it looks like an Awl stitch, it is nothing like it. In effect I am creating two 'U's, each being independent of each other so if a thread on one becomes broken, the other is still there to hold the pieces together. I feel this method of stitching is much easier to do and much more secure than using an awl. With an awl stitch, a broken thread is pretty much disastrous for the whole stitch.

Hope that explains it well.

I also use that stitch on the sheaths main stitch, start at the bottom, go all the way up and at the top, turn around and come back down in the same manner as pictured...

Steve,
I got ya. That is the way I stich also. Basically your creating a saddlestich one side at a time as opposed to using a needle on each end of the thread. I think the Awl creates what is called a Lock stitch similar to a sewing machine but not 100% about that.

-Josh

Back