Hunter Fighter in AEB-L and Curly Maple

John Wilson

I just finished this one. This is the second knife of this design I've made. The first one I did a stacked leather handle and this time I decided to go with curly maple.

The blade is AEB-L, the guard and pommel are stainless, with a brass accent in the guard. Overall I'm really happy with it. The guard is a bit chunky. I think I'm going to slim that down on the next one.

Attachments

• IMGP1442.JPG
    IMGP1442.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMGP1434.JPG
    IMGP1434.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMGP1447.JPG
    IMGP1447.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 61
Wow John, I love it. Clean, crisp lines, profesionally executed and a real ' Looker'. Wel done! Love the sheath that goes with it.

Really nice John!! How did you finish the handle?? However you did it, your process really bring out the curly maple!!! Two thumbs up!

Thank you so much guys. Praise from so many makers that I respect means the world to me.

Cliff, that finish is very simple. I used "Red Mahogany" tint from a company called Trans Tint. It only takes a few drops, rub in in real good. Repeat until you get the color you want. If you go too dark all you have to do is lightly sand it back to the lighter shade you want. After that it's the same Tru-Oil finish I put on anything that will take it.

Thanks Ted! When the customer told me he wanted a red handle, I got a little nervous. I've had really good luck with Trans Tint, so I went to their site and surfed around trying to find a red that wouldn't look odd. This tone turned out really good, I'm very happy with it. I was scared to go with a bright red because I didn't want the handle to look like a candy apple, but seeing how the luster pops in this curly maple- that might look great on the right knife. It would be very "electric guitar" looking, but it might be super cool, too, for the right customer. I know that my own tastes tend to muted, old school, and traditional. I have to remind myself that there are people out there that like bolder choices.

Late to comment John, just got home from a bowhunting trip.
Wow, that's a beauty for sure, The spacer in the guard looks great and that handle looks like glass, well done my friend!

Late to comment John, just got home from a bowhunting trip.
Wow, that's a beauty for sure, The spacer in the guard looks great and that handle looks like glass, well done my friend!

How'd the hunting trip go? It just turned cooler today- I'm sure you wish the weather had turned a few days earlier- it's been so doggone hot I didn't think the weather would ever break.

I appreciate the compliment! That spacer in the guard sure does add a bunch of time but I like how it looks. I think the guard needs to be slimmer, but it doesn't feel as chunky as it looks. The knife balances very well, in large part to the pommel I use (as a counterweight to the guard).

That wood is beautiful, John, and I like the accent in the guard. The overall design, finish, and materials just look great together. Another work of art from a talented guy.

Back