How to tell if handle material is stabilized

Mark Behnke

I have 2 sets of handle wood from 2 different suppliers, same type of wood bought as being stabilized from K and G. One is shiny and wet looking the other set is very dry looking. I put a little water on both sets the dry one absorbed the water and wet one did not.
So does the wood always come back wet looking or does it vary from wet to dry looking, is there a way to test?

Generally if you cut or sand it, you will get very noticeable "chemical" smell from stabilized woods, no matter who/where they were stabilized. "Wet" looking sometimes means the stabilizing isn't completely cured.

If one absorbed water, then in my opinion it's NOT stabilized...... or at least not well. Don't discount the possibility that a "supplier" might have sent you wood that is not stabilized, and either didn't realize it wasn't..... or they just plain were not telling the truth...... I've seen both situations occur more then once.

Does either one sink in water? "Generally" wood that's stabilized by K&G will sink. If it does float, it should float just barely even with the water. If it floats with a good bit out of water, odds are, it's not stabilized.

There are several hardwoods that sink without being stabilized, but those normally don't require stabilization.

Ken H>

Thanks Ed and Ken
After reading your responce I got the bright idea to go to K & Gs FAQ "will not absorb water".
Ill contact the seller.
Thanks for your help.

I've used stabilizing wood from many different suppliers.
Some woods, depending on who stabilized it and the the type of wood will absorb water and still be stable.
Barely floating or sinking is probably as good of test as any if residue or odor isn't obvious.

Back