How to blue a blade?

Motor City Mike

I've got someone that is interested in ordering a knife with a "blued" blade but I have no idea how it's done.

Does anyone have an experience doing this?

Is it something I can do myself or does it need to be sent out?

If I can do it myself how difficult is it?

Are there a lot different methods to get this done?

Other pros or cons?

I have never blued a blade. I did re-blue a shotgun way back in high school. I was not very good at it back then.

Here is a well known maker that "hot blues" a great deal of his blades/guards. If you go to the" knife construction" area it kind of shows the steps/procedures/tools. Not a build along but kind of one. Hope it helps you out a little bit. http://www.andersenforge.com/knifeconstruction.html

Like everything in knife making there is a process to it and probably a learning curve.

I would want to be sure your customer understands that bluing will wear off rather quickly on a user knife. Nitriding is a much better option, but definitely not a do it yourself option.

Basically there are two types of bluing..... hot or cold. Hot bluing is generally not an option on blades because it generally requires higher heat than what the blade was tempered at....meaning that it softens blades beyond what most would consider usable. Cold blue is simply a solution that is "wiped" on. I comes in many different formulas, each with it's own unique issues/problems.

As has been mentioned, bluing, whether hot or cold is a fragile finish for blades. With use, it will quickly become scratched and/or worn.

The most durable form of bluing that I have found is Brownells Nitre Blue, but even it's not very durable.....and it requires temps of 500+, which makes it only suitable for guards, butt caps, etc.....not for blades.

Last edited:
Back