Homebuilt micarta press

LR Adkins

I wanted a press that wouldn't require three hands like my old one that used 4 c-clamps. It was a real pain trying to keep the resin soaked material lined up while holding the boards straight and operating the clamps. This is what I came up with and it works pretty well. The only problem I had was the 1x4 boards wanted to bow a little under hard pressure. I should have used hardwood like oak. I solved the problem by screwing and glueing 2x2s on the 1x4 boards.

Since the one end of the press stays in one position I had to come up with another way to get different thickness micarta. I cut three shims different thickness, 1/4 , 1/2 , and 3/4 to fit in the notch of the press. The pics show how I used the shims. It was easy to make and works great.
Larry

Attachments

• IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2859.jpg
    IMG_2859.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 78
I have been thinking of something like this,as you say,it is a real pain trying to keep it all straight.It does't look like you have used it much,but is there anything you would do different?

God bless,Keith

The 1x4s were too flimsy, I should have used hardwood like oak. I just beefed it up with 2x2 instead. I used it one time so far and it worked good. It was a lot easier to manage than 4 c-clamps IMO.

Tracey I can make another and do a tutorial if you want me to. I could show how to use it, I'm getting ready to make camo micarta.

Larry

yes, please do. There are a lot of questions around home made laminate and how it's done.

Larry you could always send the extra one to me. You know so you don't have all that stuff cluttering up your shop. Nice idea.

I've got a bunch of material ready to make into micarta. A girl down the road wants a pink handled dagger and I found a pair of tiny pink jeans at a thrift shop. Then I have green & black jeans and some green canvas. Been putting it off till I could do it a little easier. This surely will help.

Pat

That looks great, I may have to incorporate this into my system. I use 2 - 3/8" x 6"x8" steel plates and some c clamps, you are right...you need 3 hands.

I have been thinking of making one, so i can make some denim micarta. I think that stuff looks great, but I think the only have to get its to make your own. Since its very similar to laying fiber glass, I shouldn't have a problem working it.

Back