Hollow grinding?

Keith Willis

I tried my first hollow grind today,well,I'll just say I am going to need a lot of practice.

I am using an 8'' wheel.Can any size blade be hollow ground on most any size wheel?

Thanks for any help,
God bless,Keith

hk, an eight inch wheel is a good all around size. I use it and also a 10". I use the 8" on my smaller knives, but that doesn't mean you have to use a larger wheel. I just like the 10" grind. I don't make any real large knives i.e. camp knives. Mostly smaller hunters. How wide your blade is will have some determination on your wheel size. 3/4" or less I use my 8". 10" on everything else. Some of the supply houses sell a chart, but I've never tried it. Hope this helps.:)

I just don't get the hollow-grind unless it's on a razor. OK - it's good for shallow slicing but that rapidly increasing blade thickness makes it very inefficient for deep slicing vs flat grind. Plus it makes for a very weak edge. Not even convinced it's a good profile for a hunting/skinning knife. Still - it's a good way to test your grinding skills.

One of our local knifemakers uses a special jig on his 8" Radius Master for his hollow grinds. The custom he made me has a conventional flat grind - the smaller knife lives in the handle of the large - I call it "Mother & Baby"

Attachments

• Stewart Townsend 101 Mother and Baby.jpg
    Stewart Townsend 101 Mother and Baby.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 57
Antonio,

The advantage to hollow ground is not in slicing. Although, for deep slicing, hollow ground knives actually work to wedge open the flesh and break surface tension to make deep cuts easier.

The real advantage is the leading edge cross section of a hollow grind will be thinner for years longer during normal use than a flat ground knife. That's because the more a flat ground knife is sharpened the thicker the cross section of the leading edge gets. Hollow grinds stay thinner longer.

That's also why well made kitchen knives that are flat ground are usually thinner in cross section than a sporting design of a similar size. To keep the leading edge cross section smaller.

A flat grind's greatest value for a sporting knife is in its strength when the edge is subjected to lateral loads through chopping or throwing...that sort of thing. Although that advantage is marginal.

All grinds are intended for and have advantages and disadvantages for specific jobs. Knife makers usually just do what they like or a customer wants cause they think it's cool. ;~)

Keith,

Yep, practice is what it takes. And TONS of patients. LOL

If you look at a lot of the better folding knives, which do have smaller blades than typical fixed blades, they usually use an 8 or 10 wheel and put a shallow hollow on them.

As H. L. says, the size is about what you are trying to get done with the design and personal preference. I actually like a 6 inch wheel for most all of my designs. I just like the way the deeper grind and wider spine looks and works for skinning knives.

I think the most important thing is to have a clear vision of what you want the finished grind to look like, lay it out on the blade and follow the vision.

But don't to hung up on getting it perfect or worry about it if it doesn't go exactly as you intended. Final sanding will fix WAY more stuff than you might think. Trust me on that one. LOL

Stick with it man. It's just takes practice.

Thanks guys.
I see JD it does take patience.All my belts are getting dull,so that makes it that much harder.I just ordered several belts from Pop's on Friday.I hope to get them this week.Fresh belts should make it a little less frustrating.

God bless,Keith

Absolutley! If you talk to some guys, they change belts like every time they change sides of the blade. That's a little extreme to me. But it will make a difference in the results if you aren't having to fight dull belts.

I will say that the best way to extend the life of your belts is to let them do the work. Don't put heavy pressure on the piece. If you want to remove a lot of material, use a coarser grit. Not more pressure.

Also, when you notice a drop in performance of the belt, turn it around. It will give the belt a little bit more life. Not much, but a little.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes out Keith. I love hollow ground blades. Good luck.

Back