Hmong knife

rhinoknives

Very effective at slicing and hacking is what I know.
I saw a few similar blades in northern Thailand in 70-71 I was quite young and there with my father visiting for a few weeks from where we lived in Penang Maylaysia at the time.

The locals could clean a path through the jungle in a hurry with one of those. Also slaughter dinner and get the fire going too!

Gary Miller

in Tulsa Okla. where we have a very large south east Asian population. my next door neighbor is Hmong. she keeps after me to make her some knives. she told me that Ban Vinai was a camp in Thailand where she had lived before coming to the U.S. she said that she and here family were there for 5 years . she is from Laos. i really like the knives from S.E. Asia, the Philippines and Malaysia in the group photo the bottom knife is which seems Montagnard to be a catch all word for the over 50 tribes that live in s.e. Asia.

BrandonM

Gary, I just realized you live in Tulsa. I'm just up the road in Owasso. Holler if you are doing a show or something in Tulsa. I'd love to come say hi.

rhinoknives

Montagnard is French for mountain people or something close to that from the little history I know of these people and area. They were pushed out of their tribal areas when s. Vietnam fell to the Communists. Many found with the usa and paid dearly for it.

Yes, there are some great designs in tools, weapons and cutlery from that part of the world.

Gary Miller

i seem to be drawn to that kind of knife culture. twss, if i ever get set back up i will let you know.