Historic Tomahawk Eye Candy

Church & Son

Howdy, it's below freezing in Carolina so I'm looking through old saved photos looking for a new/old project.

BIGtomahawk.jpg

Can't recall where I ran across this photo, but look at the size of these things, I scaled this on CAD and the tomahawks are close to a foot from the bowl to the blade, or the Indians were very short. My Grandmother was Apache, born in 1899 and she said she was five foot minus a few. Looks like Missouri Warhawks but with bowls.

BIGtoma2.jpg

This is Standing Bear, a Ponca in 1870. I think he is in the top photo in the center, looks like same hawk also, some sort of winding under the head or beading maybe. This guy got around, he was heavy into Indian rights in the late 19th century. Again, check out the size of his hawk. My lovely bride is a photographer and says they could have been oversize props as the sets are pretty elaborate for the time, don't know maybe more informed will chime in. The more I dwell in this period the more fascinating it becomes, sorry, more ramblings from an old burnout...........Randy

Very nice pics :). The hawks looks like the ones they have on crazy crow but they looks very big as you say. I must soon order a couple of hawks from crazy crow.

Seved

Any old american Indian pictures really bring some good bucks whenever I see them at auctions !!

The hawks in the photo are Missouri War Axes, and are also known as Otoe War Hawks.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've got a ton of old pics saved from this era, the information about them is what is scarce.

The hawks in the photo are Missouri War Axes, and are also known as Otoe War Hawks.

Thanks SCALPHUNTER, this answers several of my questions, I was under the impression Missouri War Axes were local blacksmith made instead of trade items but when Otoe is added that brings in the entire upper Missouri Tribes where trade was intense. Turbulent place mid to late 19th century, lot of lying and terrorism.

Here's another

YELLOW2.jpg

This is a Gilbert photo from 1880? Yellow Badger (Two Bears son) on the left is holding a HUGE trade axe.The Youngest and High Cheekbone are the others, I think The Youngest was also called Bismark Mary. This was a famous photo made into early postcards.
I'd love to see a War Axe in person to judge the size, anyone want to send me an original? I promise I'll play easy..........Randy

I'd love to see a War Axe in person to judge the size, anyone want to send me an original? I promise I'll play easy..........Randy

I don't have one in hand but originals generally have about a 1-1 1/4" diameter haft at the head and the blades (not including bowls) are generally between 7-10" with most around 8". The blades were also normally about 1-1.5" wide at the haft and anywhere from 3-6 inches wide at the cutting edge. Hartzler & Knowles has a chapter on them in their book.
Not all of the above are necessarily Mo War axes - western tomawhawks of the later era tended to be larger than earlier ones and had the more Vee shaped blades similar to Mo War Axes.
War axes, as well as most tomawhawks, were both large scale commercially made items as well as locally made for the trade so both are technically trade items.

nice pics - thanks....

Thanks for the detailed description Mr. Burrows, I've been dissecting the War Axes on WRTC, Mr. Gib was an amazing "smith. I think I'll have to try one.........Randy

Last edited:
If you need any help or advice let me know via PM.................I've got the Hartsler and Knowles book that has some good side view pics along with measurements that could scale well for patterns.

When Gib made his he tapere the eye just slightly for a better set up but a lot of originals had simple round eyes. The blades are fairly thin the whole length - think 3/16 to 1/4" stock welded to a round eye and you'll be close......

Thanks, your last line about welding to an eye put it into more perspective, I've done several wrapped hawks but couldn't figger out how the welds on the War Hawks were kept that tight at the back of the blade. Maybe it's time to move into the 20th century and crank up the electwisity......Randy

Back