hippo tusks

Never used it before. The price at starting bid of a $104 doesn't seem out of line for as rare a they are?

It's a decent, but not great price. There are less and less of these around every day. Make sure all the C.I.T.E.S. paper is legit.

Steve

Actually the starting bid can be 1.00 If Im reading this right. Its a auction set up and the other price is a buy it now! There are some cool items, I didnt even know I wanted a alligator skull till this morning. lol Now look what ya did IG! :)

EDIT, Im wrong, There is a starting price. I didnt see it.. But still very fair pricing I would think for some of the stuff is pretty awesome and rare.

Last edited:
If you are going to cut it up and use it for knife handles BEWARE!
The only one I ever tried to use was a nightmare, cracks that spirald from one end to the other and it wanted to seperate where the core and the outer layer joined. Lucky for me the customer provided the hippo tooth, it didn't cost me anything. It appeared to be huge in comparison to the knife scales I wanted to get out of it but I barely got enough to make this knife.
They are probably ok for making hidden tang knives but not for scales.

Ever thought of putting some resin in it, or some type of hardener? I have some ram scales that have pretty thin walls. I was thinking of putting some type of filler in to harden, then try my hand at trying to make them into scales. I was even thinking of adding a little tint color to the resin, to see what it looks like. Anybody ever try something like that?

Also IG the dentine on the tusk will almost spark on a bandsaw. SLOW cutting. Ive found it good for stick tang knives, just know how deep the hollow is, this can vary a LOT from piece to piece. Check out Boone Trading Co, think thats where I got mine.

God Bless
Mike

Back