HF Chisel Set

Gliden07

I'm in need of some hot work type Chisels. I was gonna make them but was wondering if I could use a Harbor Freight Chisel set and modify them to the shapes I need (way less money then buying all the different size steels I need/want) the 12 piece set says they are Vanadium Steel I can't seem to find a good source on a Heat Treat scenario for it. Any of you Metalurgists out there know if this is a doable thing??

You can get 1" x 6' of S7 for $120 on McMaster Carr. You can probably find it cheaper if you look around a bit.

Cold work chisels aren't worth a hoot for hot work. Cheap ones are worse.

You can get 1" x 6' of S7 for $120 on McMaster Carr. You can probably find it cheaper if you look around a bit.

Cold work chisels aren't worth a hoot for hot work. Cheap ones are worse.
I was looking to do something like that for myself with O1 as I'm familiar with the heat treat. I've never used S7, but it looks to be more impact resistant. Can you treat S7 effectively with a forge?

I was looking to do something like that for myself with O1 as I'm familiar with the heat treat. I've never used S7, but it looks to be more impact resistant. Can you treat S7 effectively with a forge?
S7 calls for 1725F for 20 min. with a temper in the 500F to 800F range.

I'd never attempt a steel like that in a forge for a knife, but for hot work tools, I bet you get could something real useable with less hold time and drawing the struck end with a torch.

I'll hit a point for clarity's sake on drawing the struck end. This is not a step I would ever skip on hard material. I agree tempering the whole part would be of little value. But if it's being struck with a hammer, it needs drawn way down.

Back