Here is a new tomahawk we made this week from Day's F&S

Ed Day

The Tomahawk head is forged out of a 32oz ball peen hammer. It has been normalize then it is hammered in to shape then it is heat treated then gridded to a mirror finish and to get all of the hammer marks out of it. And then tempered for a long lasting cutting edge.It has been blued to help it from rusting to. It all so has a cap on top for decoration. The Tomahawk is fully functional.

Being new to doing this type of work I am wondering how you kept the eye in shape while you are forging? Or do you reshape it after you are finished? Have just picked up a couple of ball peens and will be starting on my own hawks shortly.

Hi Rock
We use a tomahawk drift for the eye, we form the edge first then the spike, then we drift the eye, last we tweak it, (the edge and the spike is straight and lines up with the eye and handle). If you want to keep the same size eye buy or make a hammer drift the same size. This is how we do it, it may not be the best way but it works for us. The first one will be the hardest one but it gets better the more you make. Hope this helped. Good luck. P.S The eye will get out of shape most of the time.

Ed, that helps a bit. I can see where the eye would have to be the last thing done as it would deform in the process. I guess what I need to do is figure out where to get or how to make the drift. From there I can go forward with transforming the hammer into a hawk. I swear sometimes I spend more time researching how to do something than I do actually Doing something.

Ed,
Cool looking Hawk, I like the cap on the top.
Mr. Rabbit, I spend much more time researching a new method or design than doing it, That is where the pay off is. Less time making them and hopefully less ruined stock! lol

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hi Rock
Try Kayne & Son, or any blacksmithing supply Co. for hammer or tomahawk drifts. We do alot of researching to lol nothing wrong with that. If you need anything just ask.
Hey Laurence hows it going ?
All we need is a trip hammer to make it easier. Guess i will have to call Dave Sloan at little giant .

Back