Help with handle scales,

Cameron Wilcox

I was shaping the scales for a knife I have to have done by fathers day and in an effort to save time I used a saw instead of just the cutter in a drill press I have been using, bad idea. I broke the scale about 1/4" in front of the front pin. I used super glue and the dust from the block to hide the crack. Has anyone done this before? If i have to use another block the cost will be out of my pocket. The knife is a gift for a friend and I'm only asking for the cost of materials so I would like to not have to buy another block.
anyway is this just a lost cause and I am just in denial that the block is gone? here is a picture sorry about the quality all I have to take a picture is my phone right now.
photo (1).jpg
Also does anyone have a good source for bocote? I have been looking for some but cannot find any.

I would not trust super glue that far. Spend the money and chalk it up to a lesson learned. The loss of a little money is cheap compared the loss of face if it fails. I should have said, when it fails.

Yeah, that it what I was expecting but I couldn't just toss it without double checking. . I figure I might make a knife to fit the scales for myself at some point. That way I have something nice to show and If/when it fails It won't reflect on my work and I'll just replace it.
That is very kind Laurence, I'll PM you.

Back