Help, she needs curves. MORE NEW PICTURES

Chris Railey

This is a commission from a customer who wanted a large canister Damascus Bowie. Its large and its a Bowie but is blah. Anyone care to draw some suggestions on the picture and post them here? Please. The tang end will be cleaned up and shaped for a guard etc. (framed handle) but I want to get the curves straight first. 8688766B-B674-4E70-964D-C11B72573020.jpegB1ABC01B-53FC-4E87-92BF-0EFA95068314.jpegDB178825-6C9F-458B-9DA0-037490C540AE.jpeg

Add a swedge and a fuller. Maybe lessen the belly near the tip. While you’re at it make it a recurve. ;-)

Chris,

Here's a couple drawings on your photo of the ideas mentioned. I agree with John on dropping the point bringing it more in line with the centerline of your tang. I would make the clip straight and bring it back further on the blade, but I like that look, some may not.

With a slight recurve.

Chris,

Here's a couple drawings on your photo of the ideas mentioned. I agree with John on dropping the point bringing it more in line with the centerline of your tang. I would make the clip straight and bring it back further on the blade, but I like that look, some may not.

With a slight recurve.

Yep I get it now. More like Bowie #1 (the historical example). Thanks guys. I cannot hide from you guys the reason the clip ended up the way it did was because I had a crack form in the billet during forging so I had to grind that out and design a knife around it. I like your suggestions better, I will roll with that. Thanks guys.

Yup looks better, as soon as I saw it I said exactly what John said. A good rule of thumb on a Bowie or fighter is that the point should terminate at or near the centerline of the blade.

Thanks guys, I have always struggled with bowies especially big ones. That is one reason I took this commission, to figure them out.

5 of us will give you 10 opinions. Let me ask you a question sir - I like all of your work...

Which one can you sell?

Man. I like it. A lot. It looks like it belongs in a jeep while cookin’ out on the trail. Cuttin’ up Wild Boar and rattlers. That is some good eatin’

Back