Help on pivot

Grussing_Custom_Knives

Hey guys im getting in to folders and i have a good friction folder design but i dont know how to recess the aks pivots. I know for some pivots people use 5/16 counter bores but i dont know what size for the aks pivots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you start building folders, you have to train your mind to think differently then it does when building straight knives. With straight knives, most people think in fractions of an inch..... with folders you have to think in thousandths of an inch.

If you don't have them already, its time to invest in a good set of digital calipers....... measure the head diameter of the pivot, and buy an interchangeable pilot counterbore that is equal to, or very slightly larger then the head diameter, with a pilot to match the pivot shank size. Personally, when I design a folder, its done with the main consideration being to be able to use the tooling I already own.

Probably the biggest shock of my knifemaking career was when I first decided to build folders.....placed a tooling order to MSC for a tad over $300. When it arrived, it was a 3x5" padded envelope! When I realized how much $$$ I'd just spent, for how little I got.....I ALMOST decided against folders. :)

There's a reason that most seasoned folder makers tend to stay with a given size of the components they use......it because otherwise they would go broke buying tooling for all the different sized components that are available. :)

Back