HELP!!!! Makers block.

A.Sharpe

Guys I have a 10" Bowie blade. I just have it rough ground ant heat treated. Does have a nice hamon. I just can't come up with a guard and handle design. I have not made a coffin handle bowie as of yet maybe this one should be it. Any pics would be helpful. Just gotta get those ideas flowing.
I'm dead in the water.

Andy, I always go to the books when hit with that kind of block. It's why I've collected every Knives Annual over the years and a lot of other picture books.
While you may not have that library, what you do have is the internet. Go to knifeart.com, bladegallery.com, arizona custom knife, etc, and poke around. Check out some makers websites, too, whose work impresses you.
Inspiration will come.

I hate to say this, because its really not encouragement, but doing things off the cuff has always been a strong point for me.
Look at some pics and try to get some ideas.

I have about 10 years of blade mags piled in my office. Guess I need to break out the books. I do like the Idea of a scolloped S guard. Coffin handle .

I am having a bowie made by Kyle Royer in a coffin handle. However, the wide end (pummel) is steel as is a strap (upper & lower) connecting the pummel to the collar and guard. The knife is similar to the recent dagger made by Mr. Bruce Bump. Of course, I plan on engraving this knife whereas you might not be intertaining this option. If not, you could send these parts out for origional bone & charcoal pack hardening (color case) which I think would be very fetching & seldon seen. Contact me for my source for this service if desired. Oh well ---- just a thought.

Thanks Ricky' Looking back at my records you seem to grab the pick of the litter. I am so glad you are happy with my work. I try to make each knife a little better than the one before.
Ken its funny, I was playing with heat coloring last night. You mentioned it too me in our last phone conversation and I am seriousely thinking about it.

Ken its funny, I was playing with heat coloring last night. You mentioned it too me in our last phone conversation and I am seriousely thinking about it.

Are you using salts to do the coloring? Jerry Fisk did a demo on that at one of Al's meetings and I thought it was a good change from just etching Damascus for guards and butcaps.

Actually I was just useing a torch. I was amazed at the colors you can get from tan and gold to blues to almost a black and purple. It was kinda neat.

Back