Heat Treated Stainless Steel for stock-removal kitchen knife

Bill Hubbell

KNIFE MAKER
I made my wife a little paring knife this Christmas. She thinks it's great. I was up for making some real cool chef's knife, or maybe a cleaver, but she kept insisting she wanted a little paring knife. So, of course, she got one (and she loves it). But, a few times when I've mentioned another knife, and maybe making some for my daughters and daughters-in law, she asks if I could do them in Stainless. Her's is stained from onions or something, which I told her would happen with high carbon steels.
I would have posted a pic, but I'm too ashamed of the grind scratches I left because I was beginning to wonder how thin I could go before making it weak. :-0 .

Anyway, hang on, I'm getting to the question: I only have a propane forge and am pretty sure I can't heat treat stainless properly.
Can I get stainless steel appropriate for kitchen knives, that is already heat-treated? And if so, where? Or can you tell me any types of stainless items I could rob that type of stainless steel from? I know I would be dealing with mystery metal but if that's my last resort, it wouldn't be the first time.

I've committed to knives for the three girls- well and another paring knife in stainless for my wife (only been married for 43 years but I'm a quick learner).
Thx, Bill

Why don't you use the stainless of your choice and just send out the blades for heat treating?
I don't think you will be able to properly heat treat any type of stainless in your forge.

You need precise temperature control for stainless steel. You wouldn't be able to accomplish what you want with just a propane forge. I've made several knives from AEB-L stainless steel. I profiled the blades and then I sent them out for heat treat. I did the rest of my grinding post heat treat.

I like this because I have more confidence in a well known heat treater's methods vs. my own.

I've never worked with other stainless steels so they might require different methods. But they all need good temperature control

Sean is correct.
If I were you I would get some AEB-L, which is popular right now, or an old standby like 440c.
Both of those make great knives.
I would stay away from the more exotic alloys while you are learning.
Profile them, drill your holes, and get a pro to do the heat treating.
You can rough grind if you want to or do it all post HT.

Making a knife from an already hardened bar of steel can be done, but it's more effort than I care to put forth anymore.
It's hard to cut the material and drilling requires carbide bits or annealing the tang.

Ok, I'm hearing you guys.
I had no intention of attempting heat treatment of stainless (wish I was set up for that!). I figured I could grind the 'hard' stainless, much like usual grinding after heat treat. Two of the knives I have planned won't require a lot of grinding, but I guess I don't know yet what the other two gals will want. And, then there's that 'drilling for pins thing'.

Ok, guess I better look into heat treatment sources/guys. Can you give me a couple suggestions?

Haven't ordered any steel for awhile either, but I'm guessing the same sources I got that from would have the stainless steel I need? 440C and AEB-L, huh?

Thanks, Bill

Ok, I'm hearing you guys.
I had no intention of attempting heat treatment of stainless (wish I was set up for that!). I figured I could grind the 'hard' stainless, much like usual grinding after heat treat. Two of the knives I have planned won't require a lot of grinding, but I guess I don't know yet what the other two gals will want. And, then there's that 'drilling for pins thing'.

Ok, guess I better look into heat treatment sources/guys. Can you give me a couple suggestions?

Haven't ordered any steel for awhile either, but I'm guessing the same sources I got that from would have the stainless steel I need? 440C and AEB-L, huh?

Thanks, Bill
I found AEB-L a pleasure to grind post heat treat. I've used Texas Knifemaker Supply and also JTKnives. Texas Knifemaker Supply is a bit less expensive, but Todd at JTKnives in my opinion offers better service. He is my go to for heat treat now. You can probably figure your total cost per knife to be between $20 and $25 though that will drop some with larger orders.

There's also Peter's Heat Treat, which I understand does very good work, but I've never used them. They're quite a bit more for small knife runs. Their prices do drop quite a bit with larger quantities.

I've never worked with 440C so I can't offer any advice there.

I have used Peters, but to make it cost effective you need about 20 blades or more.
I also have had very good results with JT at https://www.jarodtodd.com/. He will do just a few blades and does a very good job.
Never tried Texas Knifemakers Supply for heat treating but have heard good things and I understand that they are the cheapest if you are only doing a few blades.
Bossdog here has USAKnifemaker supply and he carries blade steel. I think he has some 440c right now, not sure about the AEB-L.
I have ordered both those from Pop's knife supply and from NJ Steel Baron in the past. The available supply varies so look around.

JT will also cut out your design and send you the hardened, straightened blank complete with hardware holes.

I have used Texas KnifeMaker for HT- the cheapest but had some inconsistency in hardening results. Just got 4 blades of Nitro V back from Paul Bos HT- very pleased with the results. These guys are legends of the Heat Treat business- not the cheapest but great service and first time results. You can also call and speak with Paul- who is the owner- very knowledgeable.

Back