Hate it when this happens!

Merle

I’ve been working on my latest knife, wanted to take run at a “mini-cleaver”. This is probably only my 7th or 8th blade so far, but things were going great... 1075 and I had it all prepped with Rutledge for the hamon... quenched this am in Parks and heard the dreaded “tink”.... sure enough when cleaning up for temper I saw this... disaster!

I’m thinking I ground the bevels way too thin before heat treat.

I’m still going to temper, polish and etch just because I want to see if my hamon comes out. But otherwise back to the bandsaw to cut a new blank.

I guess this is knife-making!

Andy

Attachments

• 3D15CBA3-3F55-4D50-8121-3A6925B16F8F.jpeg
    3D15CBA3-3F55-4D50-8121-3A6925B16F8F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
So the first pic got cut off it seems... let me try again

Attachments

• E5956E34-4E64-497C-B0E7-F4F76AFB8FBC.jpeg
    E5956E34-4E64-497C-B0E7-F4F76AFB8FBC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Welcome to the club!! If you make knives more than likely its gonna happen!! Never happens in the beginning!!

Heck if it doesn't happen in the beginning. It can happen all through knife making. Ask some of the Master Knifemakers and they'll tell you that the dreaded tink still occasionally happens to them. Check your heat treating process and look for any stress risers that might have been there. If you are forging blades make sure that you are not forging with the steel too cool.

In general, I'd recommend that you skip the ricasso and choil for a cleaver design. The lower shoulder of the blade will serve as a guard and you will have easy access to sharpen the blade all the way to the back end.

Doug

I am on my second KITH attempt so I know how you feel. I don’t warm up my oil first, could that be an issue too?

Back