Has anyone ever used a White Oak Burl?

Chris Railey

I have a friend who owns a sawmill. He keeps an eye out for burls and calls me when he has a log with a burl. He called today and has a very large White Oak burl I can have. WO in and of itself is not that interesting a wood but the burl may give it some great character. I guess I could always double dye and stabilize some as well. Anyone ever had a WO burl?

I have a friend who owns a sawmill. He keeps an eye out for burls and calls me when he has a log with a burl. He called today and has a very large White Oak burl I can have. WO in and of itself is not that interesting a wood but the burl may give it some great character. I guess I could always double dye and stabilize some as well. Anyone ever had a WO burl?
Chris, I've ordered a few pieces that were stabilized. I thought they turned out ok. Here is a picture of them on an oyster knife and a small blade.

Oak burl can look like nothing else if you get a good piece. Some (most?) is fairly plain but some really looks nice. It will stabilize and take some nice color. Plan on extra time in the tank. It can be pretty dense.

Oak burl can look like nothing else if you get a good piece. Some (most?) is fairly plain but some really looks nice. It will stabilize and take some nice color. Plan on extra time in the tank. It can be pretty dense.
Thanks, I will post some pictures when I get it. He said it's about the size of a five gallon bucket so there is possibilities there.

Back