Hard-use Drop Point in D2 and G10

firecog

A stout drop-point with a 5" D2 blade approx 1/4" thick, differential heat treat by Lee Oates/Bearclaw Knives, stainless guard, black and olive drab G10 for an indestructible handle, with a basic kydex sheath. The knife balances right at the black spacer.
This is for a friend's son who is currently serving in Afghanistan.

SDC13916.jpg
SDC13946.jpg
SDC13948.jpg
SDC13950.jpg
SDC13944.jpg

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

D-2, G-10 and kydex,rough and tough materals or a hard use combination. It should hold up well.
I've never heard of a differential heat treat on D-2,could you elaborate?

Thanks guys.
Larry, I glued up the block from 1/4" 2x2 G10 that I got from the Boss, but used the G-flex epoxy from Alpha which I use exclusively now. I took some scraps and literally pounded on it with a ball peen hammer trying to seperate the layers with no effect.
I try to make sure the layers stay in the same pattern, but on this one, I ended up doubling up the OD in a couple spots, so from the top or bottom you can see two stipes of OD that are just slightly wider than the others. You can see that here:
SDC13922.jpg
Calvin,
Lee does a clay wrap on the D2 dor the differential HT. He even says you can get a hamon on it, but I always end up having to do a little grinding after HT to finish out the blade, so I've never gotten it to pop.
I've had him do a differential on 3V and even Elmax. Obviously, I'm a fan of the differential HT, as I'd rather have a bent blade or tang than a broken one.
I mentioned once that everyone else I spoke with stated that differential HT couldn't be done on those steels, but apparently he didn't get the message. I've destruction tested the blades as well and the amount of abuse that they can take is incredible.
I can't say enough about what a great guy he is, always willing to provide kind advice or assistance, and his HT services and capabilities are, in my opinion, second to none.

Back