Harbor freight 1x30

bbgunz

I've got a harbor freight 1x30 which isn't bad. Isn't ideal but usable. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on modifications or upgrades?

There's not really much you can do with one of those machines to "upgrade" it. It's overall build simply won't withstand adding more HP, and the bearings are what I would call "borderline". My best advice is to use it "as is" until it quits on you, and in the meantime, save up money towards the purchase of a "top tier" 2x72" machine.

Pretty much what Ed said. I've got one but I mostly use it for small stuff, breaking edges on stock that has just been cut, etc. Handy but not up for daily/heavy use.

Check out you tube. there are a lot of videos for modifications on these machines. the biggest problem with them is they don't have a lot of torque and you can bog them down pretty easy. I cut the cast aluminum table on mine and made a larger steel table. I found some Ceramic belts on Amazon and some Zirc Belts too got a couple of the "KNIFE MAKER" kits to play with. Don't get me wrong this is not the best machine for this type of work but it will move a lot of metal quickly another problem with this machine, RPM is 3600 or something like that!! if you mess up you really mess up!! I use mine to shape the scales after I glue them up. You will want to get a 1,2,3 block or small machinist square to set the table to the platen so they are close to 90 degrees. Check out You Tube though. There was someone on here I believe that made a "FRANKIN SHARPENER" with one too. Something mine may be destined for since I caved and bought a 2X72. Still waiting for it to show though. So until it shows up and its all set up my 1x30 will be used.

Well I used one for like six years all I can say is make sure the little platen and work rest and everything is all trued up and at a 90 with a ceramic belt its slow but you can still make nice knives just costs a lot more for belts and takes longer. And keep saving for a better grinder as you go.

Back