Hamon, Hamon, Hamon . . . . . . .

wmhammond

Hey guys, need a little help. I need some advice from some of you guys that know what you're doing with Hamons. What should I do now? I love the action in this hamon but I hate the definition. My inclination is to sand it down and re-etch it. I think I left it in the etch too long. Here is what we have. New jersey Steel Baron 1075. Ground to a 600 grit finish then hand sanded to 1500. Etched 2 min, washed with dawn & Baking soda, sanded with wet 2000 grit paper. Etched again, 2-3 min (didn't like how it was looking so etched longer), washed with dawn & Baking soda, sanded with wet 2000 grit paper. etched again then ditto, etc. 4 etchings. It never looked better than when I checked it at 45 seconds of the very first etch. Please Help.

Attachments

• IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4457.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
Etching Damascus and etching a hamon should be treated different. 30 to 40 seconds is all you need for a hamon. At this point even sanding might not fix it.

Ty, that would seem to say that it is possible to sand or grind a Hamon out of a knife. I didn't know that was possible. Seems to me that you could just sand deep enough to eliminate the steel disturbed by the etch and start over.

Wallace

You can't grind out hamon. But you can sand or grind down to clean steel and start over.

Ty is right....etching for hamon and for Damascus are two distinct operations. This blade appears way over etched.

Back