Haiti mission trip report

Les Voorhies

Badge Boss Admin Dog Catcher
I'm copying and pasting Deb's trip report here, you can see the pictures on the Crux facebook page HERE.

Thank you for your donations. Here is the report:

Hi

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'Matt 25:40

In April I went to Haiti with a team of 9. Our week there was full of activity.Three days of that week we'd leave the guesthouse around 8:00 am in a tap tap truck (multicolored covered truck with benches along the side) working our way through the traffic to a village called Caberet north of Port au Prince. The building project was situated on a hill with a lot of space around it. When we got there, the workers were already mixing cement by hand and laying the block for the new cafeteria and school building. They worked hard and with no complaints even under the intense heat of the sun. Farther down the hill there was a block making factory also out in the hot sun, Our tap tap was used to bring a load of block to the building area on at least one occasion. Several children ranging in ages 2-15 who lived near the building site came to visit us every day. They wanted to help with the building and jumped right in hauling wheelbarrows full of rock, buckets of cement and water, and handing block to the block layer. They also had plenty of opportunity to play with the balls we had brought (football, soccer and catch). They seemed to just enjoy being there with us, teaching us Creole and learning a little English, telling stories and even forming a little musical band out of rocks, sticks and tin cans. We had an interpreter with us who helped translate when it was really needed. Our interpreter had lost his mother in the earthquake and this job meant a lot to him. We could see budding interpreters among some of the younger children as well. One day the kids brought us some Mango when we got there and some other kids came riding up on Burros. It was a good thing we had brought plenty of water, the workers and the kids were more than grateful for it. At the end of the day we gave them each care packages with bandannas, crayons, toothpaste/brushes, candy, toys, etc in them and all the girls got dresses made in Minnesota from pillow cases/sheets.

For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink, because ye are Christ's, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward. Matt 9:41

The last two days we left around 8:30 am to go to Victory School/Church within Port au Prince and organized a childrens ministry and a temporary medical clinic. The school is free for all the students attending because it is an outreach to the kids living in the Tent Cities and it is partially funded through a water purification facility the school developed and is running for the entire community. Generally, it costs about $12/month for a child to attend a Christian school in Haiti as well as a registration fee of around $50-200. There are a few public schools in Haiti but they are run by secular organizations NOT the government and cost even more to attend. The Body of Christ is what is turning the wheels in Haiti. Most of the schools, hospitals, and medical clinics are organized, built, and run by Haitian christians as well as by volunteers and donations by christians all over the world. One of my teammates and I spent time at the school going through each class and doing an art project each day. The first day we had them make Fruit loop bracelets and the second day we had them make heart shaped cards out of construction paper. The kids also enjoyed coloring some print outs we had brought along. Meanwhile the staff and kids who were injured or ill were able to take advantage of the free medical clinic that two of my teammates had staked out in the church sanctuary. A couple teammates played ball with the kids while another two teammates were teaching the classes a biblical truth. The cooks at the school rewarded us with a rice dish for lunch meaning we didn't have to eat peanut butter sandwiches those two days.

Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it.1 Cor 12:27

We also were able to do a little sightseeing, shopping and a short swim at the beach that week. We attended one of the churches that only had some minor cracks from the earthquake. The congregation had met outside for a while but determined that it was safe to meet inside again. We had breakfast and dinner at the guesthouse each day and were treated to some delicious Haitian cuisine, I especially enjoyed the different juices we had at dinner.We visited an area that had been devastated by the earthquake but a new rebuilt church is now standing there. Everyone we met there has been affected by the earthquake in some way, usually at least one of their loved ones have died or were injured. And of course many had lost their homes and possessions. It was encouraging to see some of the progress too. Rubble removed and new buildings in its place. People meeting in those buildings even as the work on them is still progressing. The need there is still great but I was happy to see that a lot of great things have also been accomplished through all of this too.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. John 14:12

Thank you for being part of this ministry

Deb Voorhies

T

TimelessCustomKnives

Les that is great story. Truly inspirational!!

GOD is GOOD!! ALL the TIME!!