Guard press...

Bruce,

Do you have some pictures of the tool you use to press guards into place?

Mike

Hi Mike,
Sorry to delay this one.
I usually hand file the slot and have a square tube with a slot cut out for it. The knife tang will protrude out of the slot so I can fit it onto the guard square. Will try to get a picture of it today. Thanks for asking.

You were busy... =]

And there's a tool you use, made of brass I think, clamps on a tang with screws and has screws to push on the back of a guard. What is it used for?

Mike

Last edited:
This is what I use to push the guard up against the shoulders while the JB Weld dries. Cant recall using anything like you are describing. Sounds interesting though.

100_6396_edited.jpg

Thank you for posting that picture, Bruce.

I've been looking around your forum for the other tool... I know I've seen it but haven't found it again. I think it was like a tool "Uncle Al" sells, but modified by you. Had a brass piece with a slot and screws running in a couple of directions. I thought it was for guard fitting, but now I don't know what it's for... =]

Mike

Nope, not that, Mark, but thanks.

I was going to look through Bruce's forum for it again tonight but I didn't get home until nearly midnight and it's way to late to start. What I remember is a smallish brass oval with a slot to stick a hidden tang through... screws to hold the tang and screws to push on the back side of a guard.

Mike

Mikies soldering fixture looks perfect for its purpose. It wouldnt be hard to make one but I've never had one. I usually dont solder guards in place but if I do I drill and pin them to hold the guard in place. JB Weld is so much more convienent with my little valve spring.

That file guide is the best thing I've ever bought. The only thing better would be a miniture one for slip joint blades. This one is just a bit overkill for a 1" blade :)

Mikies soldering fixture looks perfect for its purpose. It wouldnt be hard to make one but I've never had one. I usually dont solder guards in place but if I do I drill and pin them to hold the guard in place. JB Weld is so much more convienent with my little valve spring.

That file guide is the best thing I've ever bought. The only thing better would be a miniture one for slip joint blades. This one is just a bit overkill for a 1" blade :)

Am I wrong, Bruce... you don't have a modified soldering fixture you use for whatever I thought I saw a picture of somewhere in your forum?

Mike

I have to ask, By the looks of that last pic that last pin in the handle is probably just for show? Sorry I am off the topic Bruce.

Last edited:
Josh, that is the idea of the tool I thought was here on Bruce's forum... using a plate between the screws and the guard.

Bruce, what do you see your tool doing that this one doesn't?

Mike

Josh, that is the idea of the tool I thought was here on Bruce's forum... using a plate between the screws and the guard.

Bruce, what do you see your tool doing that this one doesn't?

Mike

Hi Mike,
My tool is already made, its just a simple valve spring and installs in about 3 seconds. I cant see any advantage of the clamp and screws. Sometimes simple is just better.

Well I've got a bucket of valve springs from being just behind a local car dealership on a dump run. Was going to mess with forging them until I looked into modern valve spring metallurgy. Some of them came off of trucks, I think, and have innner and outter springs and maybe both are useful. I'm going to try it...

Mike

Back