Grippy scale material

Rob Nelson

I'll not be in the position to make knives for a while (PCSing overseas), but I hope to do some handles and sheaths. I'll also be limited to hand tools, which is not a limitation per se as I can mess up just easily slow as I can quick. Anyway, the projects I have in mind will be users, in wet/cold conditions, and sometimes bloody. Are there any natural materials y'all prefer for a grippy working handle? Or even synthetics I suppose, I've just done a lot with G10 and Micarta and was hoping to branch out. Thanks!

I've used Terotuf on a couple of knives and really liked the way feels for a user. I field dressed 3 deer with one last fall and was impressed with how it still stayed grippy when bloody.

-Aaron

I've used Terotuf on a couple of knives and really liked the way feels for a user. I field dressed 3 deer with one last fall and was impressed with how it still stayed grippy when bloody.

-Aaron
I was reading about Terotuf last night; to what grit did you finish it, and did you oil it at all?

I finished mine up to 320 grit, I think, can't remember for sure. It's interesting stuff, because of the polyester fibers in it, it's almost fuzzy like worn out jeans when you start sanding it, as you get to finer grits the fuzz sort of dissipates. I did not oil mine at all, but I think I would the next time around, because there is some light staining on it after use.

-Aaron

I recently used Terotuff for the 1st time and I like it. I finish it to 220X. It tends to pick up dirt, grit, grime, etc. pretty bad but a quick scrub with an old tooth brush & soapy water cleans it right up. I tried oiling it but that just makes it pick up dirt quicker.

yes. wood with TruOil finish. my kitchen knives and hunters are done this way. hands covered in blood / fat - has not been a problem.

TruOil looks glossy but it's fairly grippy. handle geometry always helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back