Grinders

Aikenn

hey all new post new thread
2x72 Grinder and Disk Grinder I need a new one for folders looking for all recommendations GIVE OT TO ME,

Lot's of choice out there these days. I'd encourage looking at the tried and true companies/grinders, and steer clear of the "johnny come lately" ones....they are only there trying to cash in on the popularity of knifemaking.

Personally, I'm a KMG fan, but I'd also consider Bader, Burr-King, and a couple of others. 1 1/2" tooling arm is standard, so I'd eliminate anything other than that size. If you're serious about knifemaking, don't fool around.....spend the money and buy at least a 2hp variable speed motor/controller (I personally run 3hp motors and KBAC 29D controllers on all my grinders)

Here's gist of it..... If you buy once/cry once, you've made an investment. Buy cheap (based on price) and you're just going to keep spending money until you finally break down and get a "top shelf" grinder.

I've built a couple of KMG clones, first with 3 pulley setup like the original KMG. Next was a direct drive with VFD - ONLY way to go. As Ed said, don't get suckered into a 3 pulley setup. I like the Reeder grinders - especially the SGA they've got. Depending on budget, they've got complete packages from $2K to $3500 or so. If money is any concern you can put together one of their packages for $1,000 to $1200 or so depending on type of VFD.

Ed is commenting from a full time commercial operation while I'm commenting from a part time hobby operation.

I just bought a Reeder at the Blade Show, and it has been awesome. I'm super happy with it. I did get it with the 2HP motor also.

I've built a couple of KMG clones, first with 3 pulley setup like the original KMG. Next was a direct drive with VFD - ONLY way to go. As Ed said, don't get suckered into a 3 pulley setup. I like the Reeder grinders - especially the SGA they've got. Depending on budget, they've got complete packages from $2K to $3500 or so. If money is any concern you can put together one of their packages for $1,000 to $1200 or so depending on type of VFD.

Ed is commenting from a full time commercial operation while I'm commenting from a part time hobby operation.
I would agree with this fully. My grinder is the no weld grinder that Boss Dog has plans and parts for. My original setup was with the 3 pulley system. That would work OK, except changing the belt on the pulleys to change speeds really sucks. So much so that I used mine at the same speed for almost all operations. The VFD changed things so much it feels like I have a whole new grinder.

My motor is a 1 1/2 HP motor. For me it's sufficient. But if you can get a 2 HP for a reasonable price I'd go for it. I haven't bogged my motor down yet, but I suppose it is a possibility if you grind hard.

I just bought a Reeder at the Blade Show, and it has been awesome. I'm super happy with it. I did get it with the 2HP motor also.

Bought mine 2-1/2 years ago love it! I bought a Multi platen from Polar Bear Forge. Looks like an elongated bent teardrop, I put a 2" rubber wheel on the top 4" Rubber wheel on the bottom with a steel platen and glass liner. I threaded the teardrops top and bottom holes with a 1/2x13 and cut the wheel mounting bolts flush on the back side (side near tool arm). This allows me to loosen the center bolt that screws into tooling arm and rotate platen so I can use the 2" or 4" wheel independently, use the platen or loosen center bolt and rotate 180 degrees and then use it as a slack belt all without changing the tooling arm.

I am also researching belt grinders. I am currently using a baby Dayton 2 x 42. I bought it to see if forging knives was something I would be interested in. I told myself I wouldn't upgrade until I made 10 quality knives and still had the desire. For some reason, I am drawn to the Ameribrade grinders. I have not heard any bad reviews from them. I can get a 2hp variable speed set up pretty nice for $1500-$1800. If anyone knows a reason why I should not buy one, please let me know. I have a birthday in a month and only 4 knives to go!!!!!!!

Just speaking my own opinion.... I've used an Ameribrade, and think there are far better choices. Why? That machine is just too light weight and what I would call "flimsy" when compared to those that are more robustly built. In a 2x72 grinder, weight equals stability, increases smoothness, and helps significantly reduce vibration. Anytime tubing is used in the construction of a grinder, it's just building in vibration and chatter. Maybe not at first, but after very little use, things will start going to pot.

Not just picking on the Ameribrade, but I would not own a machine that has a tension type belt adjustment system (a pull type spring or similar on the belt tension arm). Some will argue, but in my experience, a compression type system (spring or spring strut) is superior. The problem with tension type belt adjustments/tightening is that they are usually just too weak....because most cheap out and use far too light a tension spring.

Everyone has to go with what they feel is best for them.....but when I throw out advice on grinders, it's from experience, and the hope that a person will make a investment on a machine that will hold it's value over time....... generally buying a cheaper machine, means you have no resale value.

And to make a generality..... Usually when it comes to grinders.....the bigger/heavier/stouter......the better.

I got my Pheer Grinder in April I think, and I love it. I am just a hobby maker (who sells a few here and there) and there are guys on here that know far more than I but I think you would be remiss if you did not research them before you choose.

Just speaking my own opinion.... I've used an Ameribrade, and think there are far better choices. Why? That machine is just too light weight and what I would call "flimsy" when compared to those that are more robustly built. In a 2x72 grinder, weight equals stability, increases smoothness, and helps significantly reduce vibration. Anytime tubing is used in the construction of a grinder, it's just building in vibration and chatter. Maybe not at first, but after very little use, things will start going to pot.

Not just picking on the Ameribrade, but I would not own a machine that has a tension type belt adjustment system (a pull type spring or similar on the belt tension arm). Some will argue, but in my experience, a compression type system (spring or spring strut) is superior. The problem with tension type belt adjustments/tightening is that they are usually just too weak....because most cheap out and use far too light a tension spring.

Everyone has to go with what they feel is best for them.....but when I throw out advice on grinders, it's from experience, and the hope that a person will make a investment on a machine that will hold it's value over time....... generally buying a cheaper machine, means you have no resale value.

And to make a generality..... Usually when it comes to grinders.....the bigger/heavier/stouter......the better.
Thanks. I will take that advice to heart. I plan on making 20-30 knives a year. It is going to be hard to justify spending $3-5K on a grinder but....it's just money and if I don't spend it it may spoil my kids when I die. Would't want that to happen.

Well....my first grinder was the tubing and tension type described above. I loved it at first but after a few years of tinkering around, I soon began to fall out of love with it.

Personally, I have to agree with Ed's advice of buy once/cry once. It took me a few years of saving up to finally purchase a "top shelf" machine. Once it arrived, it was quite magical how quickly I seemed to forget about the purchase price!

Well here i go. The following is a list and most likely NOT a complete but still a lis.
Nielson,Pregon(parts), beaumount, ank,dd, kmg,wt-90,wilmint,phewr,bader,wilton, burr king, sayber,fucina,gib polar forge,vashti,diy, and epg.
These are here in north america not trying to leave anyone out the choice is endless. I wish everyone the best in their decision of which to buy.

Kardrmas SRG 1.5 Grinder- has been rock solid for me- 2 bolts only holding this thing to the bench- ZERO movement and vibration as seen with the 2 washers that didnt move in the slightest.

Back