Getting my new (old) surface grinder home...

Self Made Knives

iHere's a quick video of my new acquisition. I thought I'd share with you guys that are thinking about getting one of these, it's HEAVY! I didn't realize that whole base is cast iron until we put in my truck. The guy I bought it from had a fork lift so he put it in the truck for me. When I got home, I couldn't really pick it up my engine hoist because it was too tall in the back of my truck. I'm guessing this thing weighs around 1500 lbs., maybe more, just by the way it felt. Anyway, just be prepared and have a plan for getting it unloaded when you get one. I've been studying Ranger Bob's belt conversion over on bladeforums, very interesting.....might be in my near future.
[video=youtube_share;P5wCyOrJLcg]https://youtu.be/P5wCyOrJLcg[/video]

Freds Edge

Anthony , I picked up a old K.O.Lee 6 x 12 last year , it is a manual model and I will tell you that you will be happy you have an auto unless you want very large forearms and a very strong wrist . K.O. lee is out of business but I think there is a firm out in Oklahoma that has some parts , mine had a bad rack gear on the table but I was able to find the proper pitch gear and mill it for height.

Self Made Knives

As with everything, you don't really know something until you've done it for a while. This one was hooked up and I ran it both manual and auto at the guy's shop. It seemed fine, but like I say, you don't really know. Keeping my fingers crossed that there are no surprises.