G-10 liner trouble

Sampson knifeworks

Been having trouble with warping scales when I use G-10 liners ?? The G-10 is .030 thick glued on flat hand sanded Ironwood, I use g-flex epoxy clamped in vise overnight. This has happened to me more than once and would like to know if others are having this problem? I do not seem to have this problem with fiber liners. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!
Clint

Been having trouble with warping scales when I use G-10 liners ?? The G-10 is .030 thick glued on flat hand sanded Ironwood, I use g-flex epoxy clamped in vise overnight. This has happened to me more than once and would like to know if others are having this problem? I do not seem to have this problem with fiber liners. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!
Clint
I would recommend using a different adhesive for G-10 liners. I had some trouble a couple years ago myself trying to glue to jigged bone. The solution is super glue instead of epoxy. I use Loc-Tite brand super glue for liners exclusively. It bonds extremely well. Once dry I can't pull it apart. Surface prep is key. Sand scales dead flat. Rough surface of G-10 to remove shiny surface. Clean thoroughly with denatured alcohol. Glue up and press flat on granite plate. Let dry 24 hrs. Once fully dry and cured it's set and it will be flat. I hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thank you, I will give it a try!
Clint
I would recommend using a different adhesive for G-10 liners. I had some trouble a couple years ago myself trying to glue to jigged bone. The solution is super glue instead of epoxy. I use Loc-Tite brand super glue for liners exclusively. It bonds extremely well. Once dry I can't pull it apart. Surface prep is key. Sand scales dead flat. Rough surface of G-10 to remove shiny surface. Clean thoroughly with denatured alcohol. Glue up and press flat on granite plate. Let dry 24 hrs. Once fully dry and cured it's set and it will be flat. I hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I use GFLEX regularly to glue G10 liners. The key is the preparation and that that I place a weight on top of the pieces while drying. I use 6x6x.75" pieces of steel as weights. I glue my liners on before profiling the handle shapes.

I always use my dremel to rough up the mating surfaces. Then I use my gorilla glue epoxy and clamps, let it sit over night, and never have issues.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Back