Frame Lock Questions

SPAknives

Hey Fellors,
I have kinda been getting into liner lock folders lately and thought maybe I might try making a frame lock next time. So what is a good thickness for the titanium frame? What is another way to cut the reliefe for the lock bar beside using a mill?? What are some of the other differences or probs I may run into that aren't the same as a liner lock?? Any help any one can come up with would be great!! Thanks
:duh:

Thickness depends on design. 1/8" for small to medium size knives and go up from there. I normally use .160 for frames for my knives because they are larger and I do a lot of contouring. I use a 3/4" small wheel to grind the relief for the lock bar. Be careful bending the lock bar and finishing the lockup.

Pretty much the same as Dave, I grind most of my lock bar reliefs on a 3 inch wheel though.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies!
My hell, I didn't even think of grinding the relief with a small wheel! Duh!! Sounds like a good idea to me.

My Framelock tips

Hey there, here are a few tricks i use on my framelocks, all knifemakers are kings of enginuity and seeing as i can't splurge on a mill for the time being...

I cut all my locks by clamping the lock side into my drill vice, running a small cut-off wheel at top revs and sliding the vice from side to side, until it cuts through. Also, drill holes at the start and finish of the long cut, if you countersink it (just slightly), and your cuts are central it looks awesomely tidy.

To relieve the lock area I use a 15mm tungsten burr cutter, (like a ream but with tonnes more flights and is sharp as hell) and push the lock frame onto it just after the lock's been cut. this allows you to gauge height and you can customise the lock to the person.

Another thing to remember is some form of lock stabiliser so the owner doesn't push the lock too far out thereby ruining the knife. Rick Hinderer came up with the one he and Strider use but if you oversize your pivot head so it overlaps the lock you save yourself another job, not to mention parts.

Hope this helped, looks a little garbled to me :unsure:

Back