Forging Takafu Shiro 2

Edwardshandmadeknives

So, I have some Takafu Shiro 2 that I wanted to forge out into a chefs knife. I’ve never worked with this stuff, kind of bought it on a whim. Looking at its makeup, it appears to be kind of like 1095 with around .2 chromium and about 1% nickel. Sort of in between 1095 and 52100. Anyone work with this stuff? I have enough to make two HT samples, in addition to one blade. Was thinking of heat treating it like 52100. Before I waste a bunch of time working with this I figured I would see if anyone had insight in working with it.

So, I have some Takafu Shiro 2 that I wanted to forge out into a chefs knife. I’ve never worked with this stuff, kind of bought it on a whim. Looking at its makeup, it appears to be kind of like 1095 with around .2 chromium and about 1% nickel. Sort of in between 1095 and 52100. Anyone work with this stuff? I have enough to make two HT samples, in addition to one blade. Was thinking of heat treating it like 52100. Before I waste a bunch of time working with this I figured I would see if anyone had insight in working with it.

Maybe try getting in touch with Takefu? I was just looking online for some info on it and there are some other similarly named steels that really make it hard to find good info.

Apparently there are 2 or 3 steels out there that go by "Shiro2".

I think your plan to treat it like 52100 sounds like a good one.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Maybe try getting in touch with Takefu? I was just looking online for some info on it and there are some other similarly named steels that really make it hard to find good info.

Apparently there are 2 or 3 steels out there that go by "Shiro2".

I think your plan to treat it like 52100 sounds like a good one.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk
Thank you for your reply. I’ve not contacted Takefu, but I did get some HT info with the steel. It said to bring it to 1500 and quench in water or oil. Wasn’t any mention of hold time or type of oil. I have been doing a little looking at similar steels, and W2 is nearly identical. I’ll send off an email to Takefu and see what they recommend. After working with plenty of 1095, 52100, and W2 in the past I’m pretty sure it will forge exactly the same as W2 - heat it and beat it!

https://enjazalkhaleej.com/roi-معنى/

Back