Forging right along with uncle Ray

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Here's a project I started about a month ago but due to way to hot weather and the right hand being a problem I decided to give the forging a rest. The first picture is where I decided to stop. Second picture was started today. Its the first time I have attempted a socket. A customer and also a good friend Eli asked if I ever did a spear. I told him flat out, NO. Anyway it was something stuck in the back of my mind and I decided to let it out. Right now I need to get back out to the shop and use more of the free propane before Peter and his dad come pick it up. :D I plan to add captions to the pictures eventually.

IMG_1408.JPG

Ever since I saw Tai Goo's bush knives I've had an interest in trying to forge a socket plus I thought it would be the idea way to mount a spear head. I do wish now I had taken a few pictures of this process. As with anything I try forging for the first time there's a lot of trial and error. Hopefully I'll retain a little from doing the socket on this one.

IMG_1409.JPG

In this picture I stretched out what is going to be the blade and I also added some distal taper to it.

IMG_1410.JPG

I'm starting to forge in the bevel bevel. The hammer I'm using was at one time a standard 4 lb sledge that I converted with the grinder to form a fat cross peen. If I were using a regular flat or slightly rounded hammer the curve in the blade will be even greater. When I start forging the bevel on the other side this curve will straighten out somewhat.

IMG_1411.JPG

I'd just heated up the work in this photo and still hammering the bevel.

IMG_1412.JPG

Working on the point. After I got the point more to my liking I went back to forging in the bevels. I don't try to forge bevels or anything else the first go round. I do a little at a time. This way I feel I have more control and if I do screw something up its easier to correct.

IMG_1415.JPG

Your probably wondering what I'm doing here. I'm working on the profile here. I'm trying to get down low enough so I can see what I'm doing. Straightening up is a different story.

IMG_1418.JPG

Uncle Ray and his thing. I'll let it cool down all the way. I'll then take a good look at it and figure out what needs to be done next. I could possibly go to the grinder and remove a high spot or two and get it ready for another forging session.

Last edited:
Ray, I will happily forge right along with you as soon as I retire, my wife divorces me, and I move to Oregon. Meanwhile, keep taking all these great pics. Your camera seems to hold up well despite its subject! :D

It's great to see you working in a new shop Ray, Is that your Clayborn sitting in the back ground? If you need any help getting it set back up I would be more than willing to help.
Tony

It's great to see you working in a new shop Ray, Is that your Clayborn sitting in the back ground? If you need any help getting it set back up I would be more than willing to help.
Tony

Tony, You got good eyes! That's my 2 week old Clayborn press. That's about how old it was when it died in the fire 4 years ago. I've pretty much lost interest in it but maybe someday. Thanks for the offer!

Back