Forged in 1/8"

Gliden07

Not my best work but I really like the handle. I forged this one out of 1/8" 1084. Mistake 1/8" is to easy to smash into a horrible mess! It's what I had at the moment. 90% of this knife was forged, bevel, distol taper and tang taper. Got a slight warp in blade when I did heat treat. Learned a ton like, don't forge 1/8", hammer control coming along slowly, just because you think its junk doesn't mean it wont make a nice handle (if you have some White Micarta for spacer LOL!!). Anyway for your consideration gents!!

Attachments

• 20190519_132941.jpg
    20190519_132941.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • 20190602_233741.jpg
    20190602_233741.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
I'd recommend NOT forging anything less than 3/16" and in most cases not less than 1/4"...... Thin stock and forging is a recipe for problems..... just as you mentioned in your post. That being said, there are many Bladesmiths with advanced skill levels that do it, but even they would say it's not a recommended practice.

I'd recommend NOT forging anything less than 3/16" and in most cases not less than 1/4"...... Thin stock and forging is a recipe for problems..... just as you mentioned in your post. That being said, there are many Bladesmiths with advanced skill levels that do it, but even they would say it's not a recommended practice.

Ed!! Nice to hear from you!! Oh yeah I learned my lesson!! Took twice as long to forge this because of all the problems!!

Every step we take in this knife making obsession is a learning opportunity and from that comes the skills to get it right the next time without so many of the ""moments"" that cause the sharp intake of breath untill you figure out how to correct them

Every step we take in this knife making obsession is a learning opportunity and from that comes the skills to get it right the next time without so many of the ""moments"" that cause the sharp intake of breath untill you figure out how to correct them

I think I read somewhere the difference between making a knife and being a knife maker was learning how to fix your mistakes! AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!

Back