Folding hunter with amboyna burl and hamon...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
This one was commissioned by a local hunter to use as his main hunting knife. He said he uses a folder exclusively for hunting and did not want a fixed blade. He liked my forged guardless hunters and basically wanted one the same size and shape, but locking and folding.

I want to point out that there are several features that were his choice specifically:

1. He absolutely wanted no thumb stud, disc, hole, slot or nail nick of any kind. He expressly wanted this to be a two handed knife.

2. No pocket clip.

3. Dark gray look to the blade.

4. Some sort of premium burl handle.

5. No bolsters.

So this is what I came up with.

1075 steel clay quenched and etched
4 1/2" closed, 3 3/8" blade, 7 7/8" open
Blade finished out right at .125" and has full distal taper
Heavily rounded spine for comfort
Filed thumb grip areas, all de-horned so nothing is sharp
Stabilized amboyna burl scales with chamferred screw holes
Black pivot and screws
Fileworked Black g-10 backspacer, fileworked inside and out...grooved outside and coined inside
Polished and jeweled titanium liners, all sharp inside edges de-horned
Very smooth action and rock solid lockup

All comments, discussion and critique welcome.

Wow! That's a knockout. I have two questions, both are perfectly fine to ignore if you want. Do you have any pics of it under construction? I'd like to see the inards. Do you mind sharing what that would sell for? Looks expensive to me.

Last edited:
wow that is a beauty- really like the hamon and burl, and your logo on inside of the liners- well done.

You sure got a lot of milage out of the meager design requirements. Nice execution John. Sometimes less really is more.

Rudy

Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Wow! That's a knockout. I have two questions, both are perfectly fine to ignore if you want. Do you have any pics of it under construction? I'd like to see the inards. Do you mind sharing what that would sell for? Looks expensive to me.

Chevy, I don't have a pic of it taken apart, but I may be able to get one. I don't mind sharing the price but as per forum rules, I don't think I can do it here. Send me a PM or email and I'll let you know. Thanks for the comment.

Man that is clean.... love it, good work! What is the RC?

I don't have a tester and it wouldn't do me a whole lot of good on a differentially hardened carbon blade anyway, (although I could have tested somewhere near the pivot pin on this one) but the numbers I used should put this right at 60 or real close. It cuts 3/8" sisal rope and cardboard like a champ though. :)

A really beautiful example of a great designed and executed folder. The wood has to be one of my favorite all time burls.

John

Simple elegance would be the way I would describe it. With the limiting requirements from the start, I would say you hit this one way outside the park. Expertly done.

Back