Fixed blade

Finished this knife this week. feel free to critique. The blade shape is inspired by a Case folder I carry. It is close to 8 inches overall. 1084 carbon steel, green bone handles and brass bolsters. The handles were jigged but I had to grind the jigging out and then re-cut them. It has a 1000 grit satin finish. Let me know what you think.

11219714_778193428972869_6581945849636977417_n.jpg

I think that it looks great. It's kind of hard to look at it and not see a folder it's lines are so much like one.

Doug

So I am finding myself liking it! I had to google Case, shark tooth to see what you were saying but I do see the resemblance!

I had to look up the Shark tooth as well. I have never seen that one before, though I see the resemblance. The one I carry is the smaller trapper model with black G10 handles. The blade shape is fairly close to the same except larger in all directions.

I think I have learned to take knife pictures in a way that hides some of my mistakes, though I have made a little light box, I now see that you guys take pictures straight on and much closer so the camera work is as much a part of the forum as the information exchange. Thank you for the comments, though the photo is poor. It is hard to let the flaws show so I learn how to keep them from being there.

Do you all have a certain grit you go for when getting a satin finish? How high is too high if I'm not going to polish it?

The fun part about this project for me was trying to do the rear bolster with one pin and using the thong tube as the other pin. I put a tight fit on the tube and then spent some time flaring out the tube to make it all fit seamlessly.

Back