First try at forging

Gliden07

I have an old punch about 1/2" x 5" long also have a cold chisel that is a tad bigger. If I use these for my first forging project how far can I expect to draw it out? Could I make a small useable blade out of these? Or is this just an experiment to play??

I have an old punch about 1/2" x 5" long also have a cold chisel that is a tad bigger. If I use these for my first forging project how far can I expect to draw it out? Could I make a small useable blade out of these? Or is this just an experiment to play??

If both these tools are high carbon steel you could forge a usable blade out of them. Are a you talking about hand forging? The 1/2" x 5" could turn into 1" x 8" x 1/4". Learning to hand forge takes sometime to learn.

If you go to my website I have a couple threads on hand forging that might be helpful to you.

I will definitely check your web site out! I believe the chisel and punch are decent steel there older Craftsman brands. Got them at a yard sale for a buck. So if I mess them up no biggie and I add to my knowledge base!

Back