First Try At Filework

Had a little time to kill this evening so I thought I’d try to do some filework. The knife I received from Bruce had such beautiful filework that it made me want to try. I have a long way to go and I need better files. Yeah, that’s my excuse my files are junk.
View attachment 71285
View attachment 71286
That looks good for a first try. You need to make all of your curves and points match. The best way is to go slow. Make the first set as perfect as you can. Then, go on to the second set trying to duplicate the first. Concentrate on the position of the cut and the angle of the file relative to the spine surface. I count the number of passes on each cut. Also remember that the file only cuts on the forward pass. If you drag it back, you not only don't cut, but you dull the file also.

That looks good for a first try. You need to make all of your curves and points match. The best way is to go slow. Make the first set as perfect as you can. Then, go on to the second set trying to duplicate the first. Concentrate on the position of the cut and the angle of the file relative to the spine surface. I count the number of passes on each cut. Also remember that the file only cuts on the forward pass. If you drag it back, you not only don't cut, but you dull the file also.
Thanks Bruce. Can you recommend some good files? Mine are pretty shot.

Thanks Bruce. Can you recommend some good files? Mine are pretty shot.
While you're learning file control , I'd recommend HF cheapo files. When they're dull, throw them out or repurpose them... They're cheap. For good (albeit expensive) the Grobet brand are superb. Rio Grande has the full selection.

While you're learning file control , I'd recommend HF cheapo files. When they're dull, throw them out or repurpose them... They're cheap. For good (albeit expensive) the Grobet brand are superb. Rio Grande has the full selection.

HF has some diamond needle files with a lifetime guarantee

I bought some because they were cheap and even if they don't last...lifetime guarantee

Back