First Swedge

Yes a very clean grind. The trick is to keep it that way through the rest of the process.

Yup just thinking that. I still have to heat treat it. I tend to lose the crisp when I hand sand. I have just been doing 400 on the grinder. I still have grind lines but keep the crispness. I can’t go higher grit on my 1x30. Weird things start to happen.

I saw a video by Steve Wheeler. He said one way to keep a crisp line (when hand sanding) is to sand on one direction only. I have also read we’re honing stones work well.

I saw a video by Steve Wheeler. He said one way to keep a crisp line (when hand sanding) is to sand on one direction only. I have also read we’re honing stones work well.

That makes sense , we probably tend to micro-swirl going back and forth. I think I just made that word up.

Looks great.

A well done swedge really adds a lot of character to a knife.

Generally, sedges aren't sharpened. Sometimes but not usually.

And, in some states, a sharpened swedge can make the knife illegal if double edge knives are against the law in that state. Like Michigan where I live.

I think that I would leave the swedge unsharpened. I doubt that you will be doing much hog sticking with that blade.

Doug

Looks great.

A well done swedge really adds a lot of character to a knife.

Generally, sedges aren't sharpened. Sometimes but not usually.

And, in some states, a sharpened swedge can make the knife illegal if double edge knives are against the law in that state. Like Michigan where I live.
That's good info. I really didn't know what they were for other than a scary weapon. I definitely will leave it unsharp.

Back