first liner locks

clancy

My first folders since 1994. I am thinking about grinding a big curve into the handle so the knives don't look so rectangular.

any comments?

ernie balch

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thanks Frank, I've been admiring your work.

I can make the parts fit together but I really struggle with the artistic design part.

I have been advised to develop my own style, that is easier said than done!

Ernie

Ernie.
What has worked for me is to just go to the next one which may only have a slight change from the last, - say a curve in this first one. Then you may want to try a little different shaped blade and it won't fit in the frame you have now. It sort of "forces" you to come up with a different shape. I still take the paper patterns and transfer them to Formica but with a pivot hole in both the frame and blade. Now I can tell will my "new" (to me that is) folder work. I'm almost always available to answer email questions and this sight has MANY terrific liner lock makers. Frank

Don,

I'm still working with your liner lock book. Slipjoints look more difficult to me and I have this nice damascus to work with. The pattern would be lost with a small blade.

Which design sells better?

Frank,
Thanks for the advise, I'll start making incremntal improvements.

Ernie, looks like you have the linerlock mechanism down pat.

You're doing this exactly right. learn linerlocks before trying slipjoints. That's a whole new world.

Now show us a slipjoint.

Back