First knife Sale

Gliden07

So I'm working today and I get a call from the gent I took the Defensive knife class from. He told me he liked the knives I had made and brought to show him. Then he asked me to come up with a couple ideas for him! Wants me to build him a knife! I was surprised as heck and flattered to say the least! I asked what he wanted and he told me so I'm gonna do a couple sketches and see what he has to say! To those in the know any suggestions moving forward? This is crazy!!

Gliden, my only advice is to avoid falling into trap of being the one-off knife guy. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing one-off customs, but there is no way to make any money doing one-offs unless you are making museum pieces and charging accordingly. Any time you make 1 of something, it takes a long time and sometimes lots of trial and error. Great designs evolve over time through countless little tweaks.

It is thrilling to have people come to you to make them a knife and wanting to pay for your work. Believe me when I say that those people will buy YOUR design, and they will pay for it. So, in my honest opinion, try to design something that the customer will like but will have broad appeal so that you can make 50 of them over the years. That's how you recoup all the design time, failures, fixes, etc that come with a new design. You can sell one knife at a reasonable price if you can spread all that upfront time and effort across a whole bunch of knives of that design as time goes on.

And I know you didn't ask, but don't be the cheapest guy in town just because you are new. You aren't a stamping plant in China, so you aren't competing with Walmart. I don't care how rough and ugly it is, it's handmade and people pay for handmade. You are selling your creation, which just happens to be a knife. You aren't selling raw materials plus markup.

So I'm working today and I get a call from the gent I took the Defensive knife class from. He told me he liked the knives I had made and brought to show him. Then he asked me to come up with a couple ideas for him! Wants me to build him a knife! I was surprised as heck and flattered to say the least! I asked what he wanted and he told me so I'm gonna do a couple sketches and see what he has to say! To those in the know any suggestions moving forward? This is crazy!!

Congrat's 07! That's great news and a compliment to your workmanship. Looking forward to your design and progress. Are you going to make the leather sheaths as well? I've found this adds time and $ but it does compliment and add a nice touch to show off your craft.

Congrat's 07! That's great news and a compliment to your workmanship. Looking forward to your design and progress. Are you going to make the leather sheaths as well? I've found this adds time and $ but it does compliment and add a nice touch to show off your craft.

The gent I'm gonna do this for is a Tactical guy, he wants Kydex. Which is cool because I have the stuff to make them, but he also has a Friend that makes custom Kydex sheath too.

I've been in kind of that same situation, and designed a knife for a friend or new customer. If I design a new knife specifically for them, I make sure its a useful design, and usually I name the design after them. That way, they got the first one, and their design is named after them. And It takes that sting out of their design being marketed and made for other people. It's always worked for me in the past, lol.

Congrats on your sale Glidden, I hope your not like me and get half way thru and say to your self.........self, I hate this knife.
The only custom orders I take anymore are when someone combines some of my models into one or something I truly don't look at with any sort of question in the back of my mind.

I've never really taken on any outright hideous looking knives but I've had my share that I grew to absolutely hate and couldn't wait to get them out the door.

Sometimes at first it seems like an ok idea...with the customer talking you into it and offering up good money, but in my experience a lot of the time I felt like I was kind of under the gun creating someone else's ideas instead of my own, which to me really kills the pleasure part of making knives. you have to take into account the money but sometimes moneys not everything, like when you walk in your shop for the third or fourth day and that customer designed knife is still sitting there waiting for you cheer up, put on your happy face, finish it and get it to the customer.

I'm sure many makers gladly take any orders that come in but I know some are pretty picky.
If your a new knife maker it helps to get your name out there, and if it's paying to keep your lights on orders are great,
but over the years you'll have people wanting you to make some weird and or ugly knives...it's up to you.

Back