First Knife Build

Jeff Williams

Finished up my first knife build tonight, and thought I'd share it. The blade and bolsters were purchased in a kit...went this way to get a feel for drilling, fit up and assembly before I jump in all the way with the rest of the tools I need to acquire. HAHA I didn't do a Class A polish on the bolsters or anything, but am pretty happy with the first attempt. I'll be jumping all the way in now :D

FirstKnife_3_resize.jpg

Jeff, that looks good, I like the shape. Take some sandpaper and sand around scales some to soften/smooth out the sharp corners will do wonders. Once you finish up with the knife be sure to post more photos.

Jeff, that looks good, I like the shape. Take some sandpaper and sand around scales some to soften/smooth out the sharp corners will do wonders. Once you finish up with the knife be sure to post more photos.
I agree. The edges of the handle could be more rounded on the bottom. Your first knife blows away my first effort. You have real skill. You are well on your way. The blade itself is great. Wonderful plunge line. The guard looks great. Fit and finish is really good!!

Looks good to me, Jeff. I've been buying my blanks, adding really nice wood scales (mostly), and then making a sheath. So, I started out about the same way you are. Unless you have experience working metal or you're just itching to get into forging, you can build your skills considerably by just doing as I do, buying the blanks and learning to add the scales.

After you get 5-6 knives built, you run into the dilemma of what to do about a sheath. There are lots of approaches, but I never found any sheaths available online that I was really happy with. The stuff from Mexico seems to me a little better quality than the sheaths from the Philippines and that area. Just my opinion. But the reality is that you can't get a sheath to really fit unless you make it yourself. I didn't, didn't, didn't want to learn leather work, but I ended up investing about $100 in basic tools and now I enjoy the sheath work as much as I enjoy crafting and fitting nice scales.

The advice from some of the other posters is smack on target in terms of sanding out this first set of scales, contouring them more, and adding some more finish. I can't really tell if this is naked wood or if it has a little oil. Also, I would suggest you build several knives that don't have the bolster. Reason I say this is that there are some real challenges contouring the scales where they taper down to the blade, without a bolster. Also, learn about liners as I think they add an awful lot to a knife. Once you get all that down, you can decide if you want to get into forging.

Best of luck and don't be embarrassed to post here with even the most basic of questions.

Last edited:
Back