First knife and sheath set finished and put to work

Eddie Mullins

I haven't been on here in a while, been back to forging / smithing instead of blade work for a while. I forged a few knives that have made their way to a collection of 2nd's and have only finished 2 to put to use. 1 a kitchen cleaver/chopper and the 2nd a little skinning knife. I actually made the skinner a few months back but never made a sheath for it. I finally did this week, finished it yesterday, so took it hunting last night and got to put it to use. Provided a nice sense of accomplishment and the realization I don't want to purchase another knife. I also found I liked the leather work a little more than I thought I would. Pics aren't great, but here she is (don't recall seeing any hunting pics on here so I will spare you the application shots).

11-29-13 skinner and finshed sheath b.jpg

11-29-13 skinner and finshed sheath a.jpg

Made from a scrap bag purchased from Springfield Leather. Used a cheap compass to mark the edge and fork for hole placement. Pretty basic but I'm pleased. I am now wondering if leather tools should make my Christmas list : ).

Eddie,
That's one of those milestones that you can look back at and smile.
My first sell of a knife i made, first time I had a write up in a knife mag, first newspaper article, etc.

Just stay with it and there is no telling where you can go.

Very good for a first complete set. I would go for some basic leather tools. I came by leather crafting before I made my first knife. I need a holster for EDC, still use it today. I have bought a lot of used leather tools that being "vintage" I picked up at a low price and I recently was looking at ebay and found I have a great investment return should I sell them.

Back