First Forged Knife

Justin Presson

Well after the ICCE show I got motivated to get back at my first forged knife. This was like learning knife making all over again. I finished grinding the bevels in today and man its a lot different grinding a blade you have forged the bevels already into.
I went with this style knife so I could get a good idea on how to move the metal. I did make a lot of mistakes. One was letting it get to cool when I did the handle twist and result have a small crack in it.
This started out as a 1/4" by 1" piece of flat bar of 1084.
I will try and get more pics after I sharpen and make the sheath I got giddy and had to share some pics.

You can see in this photo my grind got a little away from me but I wanted to leave the forged finish on the part between the bevel and swedge.

Anyway thanks for looking and all critique and comments are welcome, I'm still learning this game

JP

Last edited:
Thanks Anthony! One thing I wanted to mention is after I forged the blade had an upswept profile to it. I didn't know that when you hammered in the bevels how much it would impact the profile so I annealed it and cut off the tip and then ground in the shape I wanted. That's probably cheating but its what I did. I don't know how you guys forge so close to final profile.
It was a huge learning experience and I can't wait to do it again!!

Looking good Justin. I need to get an anvil tracked down... I've been wanting to do some forging myself.

Chris

Looks good Justin. Glad to hear the experience you're having with it. I have to admit, I'm a little envious.

Don

Back