First fillet knife

Kev

I just got this guy wrapped up. It’s the first fillet knife I’ve attempted. AEB-L stainless steel, 60Rc. The blade is fully tapered from .115 down to .020. I feel like I got the right flexibility. The balance isn’t awesome, but the handle locks into my hand well. Should do well on this slippery tasks. 24E5838A-F884-414B-9FAE-D3A5BD1151AE.jpeg

Fillet knives are next on my list of things to make along with a fishing day knife. What length is your blade as I was thnking of something in the 6 - 7 inch

Fillet knives are next on my list of things to make along with a fishing day knife. What length is your blade as I was thnking of something in the 6 - 7 inch

6” blade. Much longer is just too much knife for anything one would catch around here.

6” blade. Much longer is just too much knife for anything one would catch around here.

I agree 6” is ideal and also makes a very handy kitchen knife.

I make an 8” as well. The saltwater guys like that length, as well as those who like a lot of flex.

I agree 6” is ideal and also makes a very handy kitchen knife.

I make an 8” as well. The saltwater guys like that length, as well as those who like a lot of flex.

I have a 9” blade blanked and heat treated, that is basically the same design. It’s for a friend of mine that fishes in AK, all the time. I decided to try my luck with a smaller blade first before I made one for someone else. This was the first time I have done any kind of taper on a blade. There’s room for improvement, but I learned a bunch, and that was kind of the idea.

Back