First Annual Midwest Knifemakers Mafia Folder Freeze-In

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
What is it: The First Annual Midwest Knifemakers Mafia Folder Freeze-In

Huh?: several experienced folder makers get together for a day and half at our shop.

Where: USAknifemaker (Midwest Knifemakers Supply) in Mankato, MN

What does this mean?: No agenda, no classes, just a get together of some friends and we talk about knives and wives. We will also be making some cannister Damascus. We do solve most of the issues out there over more than one can of beer. The Wisconsin guys bring fresh cheese which is nice.

Who is coming: Two lucky guys reading this gets to come and hang out. This is an invitational only get together.
So far we have RB Johnson, Keith Johnson, Les Voorhies, Peter Martin and myself. Dustin Larson, our crack production guy and bali maker will be there. I have a couple other direct invites to follow up with. Expect around 8 to 10 people total.

Demos: Keith Johnson is going to walk us through making a double action liner lock. I’ve never made one and I want to. We will have some damascus cannisters to show that process and then forge them up. I’ll walk thru the CNC process on the folder I am working on now if there is interest.

Tools. I love tools: Who doesn’t? We will open the hot shop. It’s outside in a CONNEX container so hot is relative. We will have the 20 ton press going and you can use the air hammer if you want. We have several grinders and a surface grinder here you can use.

Why are you posting this?: Because today’s culture of knife making is about sharing knowledge. Attending one of these can take years off your learning curve. I think I have an obligation to pass on the knowledge so many others have shared with me and these get togethers are a great format for that.

What does it cost?: Nothing. Show up.

What do I need to bring?: Bring one or some of your fixed or folders. Bring some Damascus billets or cannisters to forge if you want. BYOB. Drinking is not required, but it helps.

I like to eat. What is there to eat?: Breakfast and dinner is on your own. We will bring in Pizza for lunch on Thursday. We can also do something Wednesday night if there is interest.

Where to stay?: There is at least a dozen motels with-in 5 minutes of the shop. Many guys stay here and like it: https://riverhillshotel.com/

What do I get?: New friends and shared tips and process on folder making and some on cannister Damascus.

What else?: Membership in Midwest Knifemakers Mafia and an offical MKM T-shirt. Membership is available only by spending a day in our shop. There is no secret handshake. (there is but it's like fight club, we can't talk about it)

When?: The dates are not yet set but sometime in mid to late January or 2nd to 3rd (full) week(s) in February. This is advance warning so you can check your calendars.
We are working through coordinating the dates now.
Most will drive in on a Wednesday. We hang out late Wednesday and all day Thursday. Some may drive over for the day on Thursday.
Friday most will head back but you are welcome to come work in the shop Friday morning also.

Requirements: You must have made at least one folder. You have time now if you haven’t made one yet. It does not have to be fancy or even good but you do need to have some of the basics down. I am flexible on this if you make a good case.

How do I sign up?: Post a pic of a folder(s) you have made and say I want a chance to come! Follow up with a direct email to me as I don’t know where this will get cross posted. My email is tracy@usakms.com

Who gets to attend?: in addition to the direct invitations, I will draw two names and let them know. If they can’t make it, I will redraw until we get two guys that can make it.

Drop in: If you can’t officially “sign up” because you can’t hang out the whole time, you are all welcome and encouraged to drop in and hang out as long as you want either Wednesday or Thursday.

Questions. I have questions.: Don’t we all? Email me direct at tracy@usakms.com

Can I share this?: Absolutely. Post it where you want.

Back