fire brick I.D.

slatroni

A friend gave me some "fire brick" from a foundry. I am not sure if I can make a forge using these or not. They look, feel and weigh like some kind of cement brick. Any help would be appreciated. I used a sharpie and hi-lighted the makers mark on the brick.
Thanks
Steve

fire brick.jpg

Great find. Free is almost always a good thing. Fire brick come in both hard and soft. They both have there place and advantages. Hard being more durable and soft being more heat efficient .

try putting one in a fordge or kiln and running it up to temp. It will tell you if the brick is rated for that working temp.

erik

Last edited:
It could be a paver but you won't know till you try. DONT put a cold brick straight into a hot anything. That is asking for trouble . Bring it up slow and let any water leave the brick. Check it as the temp rises and look for a melted/ glassy surface.

Erik

I have a gotten a few freebies myself from a deconstructed fireplace. They work just fine. I assume the foundry brick are rated for higher temps. Slow heat your forge and do not let them get wet or sit out in the rain. If it did sit outside in the weather, through it in the garage for a week or more before letting it get hot.

Back