Finishing stabilized wood at the ricasso area after glue up.

Cameron Wilcox

After months of school and not having time to work on knives I was chomping at the bit to get started on a knife intended to be a gift for my grandfather. problems is I forgot to finish the wood that was going to be up against the blade before gluing it together. To make things worse I also chipped it a little in the same area. What is the best way to finish this area without damaging the finish on the blade because it is etched as well.

This is the area that I chiped

Attachments

• IMG_0383[1].jpg
    IMG_0383[1].jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 34
Cameron,
Glad to hear you aren't neglecting your school work to make knives or anything like that! :biggrin:

I tape the blade up to that ricssio area and I finish my scales and liners held together all the way to my hand sanded final grit then I buff the front with Fabuloustor white compound to shine it up and the compound helps keep any epoxy I get on the front of the scales during assembly from sticking.

Its tough to go back in the front of the scales without messing it up. You might want to start over for your Grandfather and keep this other one as a shop knife or give it to a buddy?

Back