Filing Jig

Discussion in 'Knife Dogs Main Forum' started by Gliden07, May 29, 2017.

1. Gliden07

Gliden07 Well-Known Member

Filing Jig and the 1 brick forge I'm working on.

Attached Files:

2. opaul

opaul Well-Known Member

How does the filing jig work. I've seen the ones of angle Iron but not one like this. Thanks

3. Gliden07

I really tried to write how this would work but a picture is worth a thousand words or in this case a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iNDRwwBQQ

I still need to add hardware, and I want to come up with some kind of roller for the plunge line stop bolt so the plunge doesn't move as I file the blade bevel. Check out the video it is very informative. I had most of the stuff laying around except for the file. So it is gonna cost about $15 complete with the file.

Hope this isn't against the rules? If it is please remove the link.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. Kevin Zito

Kevin Zito KNIFE MAKER

This is fantastic! Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Gliden07

You got it!! I am going to put the finishing touches on mine tonight!!

6. Gliden07

20170530_192904.jpg 20170530_192858.jpg 20170530_192858.jpg

Here is my finished filing jig. All I need to do is prepare the File. This consists of rounding off the edge of the file to prevent a square plunge line. I taped the file as is to the rod just to try. It works very good beautiful plunge!! The second pic is a spacer I put on the 1/4 20 screw so the file rolls instead of digging into the screw and changing where the plunge line starts.

7. Justin Presson

Justin Presson Well-Known Member

Looks good, I built one like that and made some knives with it. I like the idea of the spacer.

8. opaul

opaul Well-Known Member

lets see those plunge lines! thanks

9. Gliden07

I will on the next knife. I tried it out on a piece of mild steel angle iron. Next one I will post picks of! Gonna do a hunting knife about 10 inches or so. Similar drop point with at least one finger groove and Red Oak scales with brass pins.

10. BGravitt

BGravitt New Member

I am a wanna be and have made a jig and I am currently working on a knife. Great idea with the rollers. What about angle? I've read a ton about how the bevel angle, there's a lot of opinions on either side of that topic. Do any of you that use this guide method worry abou angle?

11. Gliden07

I just started to file my second blade on this jig. It works great! Couple things I have noticed. The roller works GREAT! Problem you have to watch is when you try and do a long stroke on the file near the plunge, the front of the file is tapered the plunge started to move a little. I caught it quick enough and will be able to fix it with the choil. I just followed the video an put the primary bevel in first and then lowering the eyebolt about 10 turns , then draw parallel lines with a Sharpie to use as a visual guide as I file to keep the bevel as even as I can.
    20170619_175835.jpg 20170619_175841.jpg
    These are a couple rough pics of my project.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  12. Entropy762

Entropy762 Well-Known Member

Looks good so far. Maybe a pillar file will help to get the plunge lines started. A pillar file is parallel along the sides.

Jake

13. Kevin Zito

Kevin Zito KNIFE MAKER

Thanks for this tip. Who makes the best files? Is there a standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk