Favorite Recipes

Curtiss Knives

KD Founding Member #1, Knifemaker
Since food is a favorite subject amongst most of us, I thought this would be a great place for a "Recipe Sticky". So here ya go, post up your favorites!
Harvest.gif

Here's my gal's meatloaf recipe. It's AWESOME! Equally good hot and fresh, or cold on a sammich the next day...

2# ground beef
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
diced onion to taste
1 pkg crumbled Saltine crackers
1 egg
1 tsp. diced garlic
1 tsp. Lawry's seasoned salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste

"Yes, you have to taste it before cooking. That may gross some people out, but deal with it."

Mix in a bowl and place in a 9x14" Pyrex baking dish,
cook in a pre-heated 350* oven for about an hour.
Drain grease and serve.

For a Southwestern feel, replace Saltines with Doritos or tortilla chips and sub diced tomatoes with tomatoes/jalapenos

I'm tellin ya boys, this meatloaf ROCKS. How do you keep it fresh for a few days? I have no idea because it never lasts that long in our house :biggrin:

Last edited:
Sounds great, James. I love a cold meatloaf sammich. Here's a technique I use, not really a recipe:

Ribeye steaks - nicely marbled ones about an inch thick.
Sprinkle steaks on both sides with onion powder, garlic powder (not garlic salt!) and freshly cracked black pepper. Don't salt them until you are ready to cook them. I like to season the steaks in the morning so they are ready for dinner. Be sure to pat the seasonings in well.

When you are ready to cook, salt the steaks on both sides and pat it in.
Get an appropriate size cast iron skillet and put it on the stove on med. high heat.
Add oil, I use canola oil. As the oil starts to warm add butter. You want enough oil and butter to generously cover the bottom of the skillet. I use 50/50 oil and butter.
Now here is the trick - watch the butter until it starts to turn brown and smell it. When it has a nice nutty aroma pop the steaks in. Turn after the steaks are well seared and nicely browned. Only turn once. Cook until desired doneness. Let rest for a few minutes then dig in. I personally like Rosemont Shiraz (Australian Red) to go with the steaks but any dry red wine will work. Bon Appetit!

Homemade Chicken & Dumplings

Since I'm a southern country boy, I know how to make this!
Ingredients:

• 1 big fat hen
  • 1 carrot if ya like it
  • Handful of parsley
  • dash of poultry seasoning
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • water
Put the hen in a big pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Add seasoning, salt and pepper, carrot and parsley. Reduce heat and simmer for about 4 hours when hen is tender. Save the stock for use later. After hen cools, remove from the bone and cut into small pieces. Set aside for now.

Dumplings:

• 2 cups plain flour
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 2/3 cup milk
Mix and sift the dry ingredients. Work in the butter with a fork. Add milk as you go. Roll it out to about a 1/4" thick on your countertop. Cut into 1" squares or something like that. Drop these into the hot broth and let cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Drop in your chicken pieces and everything else. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes and serve hot. If you put a little bit on your forehead, your tongue is gonna beat your brains out trying to get to it! Seen it happen!:tt2:

Since I'm a southern country boy, I know how to make this!
Ingredients:

• 1 big fat hen
  • 1 carrot if ya like it
  • Handful of parsley
  • dash of poultry seasoning
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • water

Put the hen in a big pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Add seasoning, salt and pepper, carrot and parsley. Reduce heat and simmer for about 4 hours when hen is tender. Save the stock for use later. After hen cools, remove from the bone and cut into small pieces. Set aside for now.

Dumplings:

• 2 cups plain flour
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 2/3 cup milk

Mix and sift the dry ingredients. Work in the butter with a fork. Add milk as you go. Roll it out to about a 1/4" thick on your countertop. Cut into 1" squares or something like that. Drop these into the hot broth and let cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Drop in your chicken pieces and everything else. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes and serve hot. If you put a little bit on your forehead, your tongue is gonna beat your brains out trying to get to it! Seen it happen!:tt2:

If you were a true Southern boy, you would do all the above and then toss it out back, gather the family up and head to Hooters for 2 for 1 Wings Family Night...:nothing::nothing:

Fried venison: Cut backstrap, or any other part, into 3/8"x 1 1/4"x1 1/4" squares, tenderise with a butcher knife, marinate in A-1 sauce about 10 min. then dredge in flower then deep fry till done, don't over cook. Serve with A-1 sauce. My grand kids preferr this over any other food except fried wild turkey breast.

A buddy of mine mixes 1/4 cup of brown sugar into 1lb of ground beef to make his burgers. Sound a bit strange but they are fantastic.

Hmmmmmm, how about home made chicken or shrimp alfredo? I had someone tell me one time that home made alfredo was hard to make. So, I called "B.S." and developed my recipe. I've never seen this recipe anywhere, but I'm sure I'm not the original author of it. All ingredients are adjustable and I rarely make it the same way twice.

Ingredients:
Chicken or Shrimp (1 lb)
Butter (have a couple of sticks on hand)
Olive Oil
Heavy Cream (16 oz minimum)
Parsley (fresh is preferred)
Garlic (fresh minced, not dry)
Parmesan Cheese (dry is good, fresh grated is better)
White wine or Chardonnay (I use whichever is cheaper)

1 Tb butter in a skillet with a splash of olive oil (medium heat).
Throw in some garlic once butter and oil are good and warm (you can never use too much).
Add shrimp or chunks of chicken breast and some parsley and sautee (you want to get the meat good and browned without fully cooking it (the goal is approximately 75% cooked).
Remove meat from skillet.
Deglaze skillet with a little wine.
Add anothe Tb or two of butter and garlic to the skillet.
Once butter is meltedmand hot, cut heat to low and add some heavy cream (approximately 4 oz).
Slowly bring the heat up til cream is slightly bubbling.
Toss in some parmesan and stir to melt it.
Continue adding cream and parmesan til you have the amount of sauce at the consistency you want.
Lower heat and add more parsley to taste.
Return meat to skillet and cook til done.
Serve over pasta.

See, it's easy!

This recipe works great with crab or scallops or a mixture of both with shrimp.

Here's my gal's meatloaf recipe. It's AWESOME! Equally good hot and fresh, or cold on a sammich the next day...

2# ground beef
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
diced onion to taste
1 pkg crumbled Saltine crackers
1 egg
1 tsp. diced garlic
1 tsp. Lawry's seasoned salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste

"Yes, you have to taste it before cooking. That may gross some people out, but deal with it."

Mix in a bowl and place in a 9x14" Pyrex baking dish,
cook in a pre-heated 350* oven for about an hour.
Drain grease and serve.

For a Southwestern feel, replace Saltines with Doritos or tortilla chips and sub diced tomatoes with tomatoes/jalapenos

I'm tellin ya boys, this meatloaf ROCKS. How do you keep it fresh for a few days? I have no idea because it never lasts that long in our house :biggrin:
Hey!!! J. Turkey!!!! No HT'g relish???? HEHEHEHEHE!!! The recipe sounds good even without the HT'g relish.:3:

Here’s a great cold weather thick soup.

Cajun Potato Soup

Ingredients
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1/2 onion, diced
· 5 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 pounds andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
· 6 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
· 3 cups chicken broth
· 2 cups milk
· 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
· 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
· 1 bunch fresh spinach, chopped
· 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
1. Heat the butter and oil together in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter and oil until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage slices; cook and stir another 5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes; cook and stir 15 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, milk, heavy cream, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 to 12 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Mix in the spinach. Remove from heat. Top with Parmesan cheese.

We didn’t stuff our sausage in casings, we left it as ground meat when we made it. Also if your russets are the big ones only about 3.

It’s great with toast for some reason.

Bon Appetit

Todd

Here’s a great cold weather thick soup.

Cajun Potato Soup

Ingredients
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1/2 onion, diced
· 5 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 pounds andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
· 6 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
· 3 cups chicken broth
· 2 cups milk
· 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
· 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
· 1 bunch fresh spinach, chopped
· 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
1. Heat the butter and oil together in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter and oil until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage slices; cook and stir another 5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes; cook and stir 15 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, milk, heavy cream, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 to 12 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Mix in the spinach. Remove from heat. Top with Parmesan cheese.

We didn’t stuff our sausage in casings, we left it as ground meat when we made it. Also if your russets are the big ones only about 3.

It’s great with toast for some reason.

Bon Appetit

Todd
Todd, I though you Cajun's do spicy food. Where is the hot peppers. :les:

IG,
I ain't no Cajun but I sure eats me sum:biggrin:
Friend of mine just went back to work for Anderson Fish Farm's, largest in the world, so I'll be stocked up on sum crawdads.

Got my pepper seeds in so they will be in the greenhouse next month, even got me some ghost pepper seed to kick up my Tabasco sauce somemore.

Todd

Nothin like Cajun food, do not put the Crawfish Etouffée on your forehead you will kill yourself try to get it :001_tt2:.

Crawfish Etouffée

Make dark roux from:
1/2 Stick butter
5 Tbsp Oil
1-1/4 Cups Flour

Make seasoning mix from:
1-1/4 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp dried sweet basil leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 bay leaves

Chop and mix the following:
1 Cup onion
1/2 Cup celery
1/2 Cup bell pepper
1/3 Cup parsley
2 Cloves garlic

1 Cup finely chopped green onions
3-1/2 lb shrimp or crawfish meat
1 stick butter
2-1/2 Cups water
1 fish bouillon cube
Tabasco Sauce to taste

Make roux by gradually mixing flour into very hot oil/butter in a cast iron pot or Dutch oven. Whisk continually until dark brown. Try to minimize smoking.

Remove from heat and immediately stir in the vegetables and 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix with a wooden spoon. Continue stirring until cooled…about 5 minutes.

In a 2-quart saucepan bring 2-1/2 cups water to a boil and dissolve fish bouillon cube. Gradually add this to the roux stirring constantly. Reduce heat and cook until flour taste is gone…about 5 minutes.

In a 4-quart saucepan melt 1 stick of butter over medium heat. Stir in the shrimp/crawfish and the green onions and sauté about 5 minute stirring almost constantly.

Add shrimp/crawfish sauté to roux along with remaining seasoning mix. Stir well and reduce heat to simmer. Thicken with cornstarch if desired.

Serve over rice. Serves eight.

===========================================================================================================================================

Jambalaya

1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
4-5 stalks celery, chopped
1 whole head of garlic, pressed
1 bunch of scallions, sliced
5 chicken thighs
2 lbs. Sausage
McCormack's seasoned pepper blend
About 2-1/2 cups uncooked rice

Combine the following:
1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
1 can chicken broth
3 additional cups chicken broth

Season chicken liberally with salt, seasoned pepper and garlic powder and brown in 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil. Remove chicken from pan and cool, then remove from bone and set aside. Sauté veggies in the same pan, scraping up all the goodies in the bottom of the pan and mixing with the veggies. Lightly brown sausage under broiler, cool, then slice. Add ingredients in the combined mix to sautéed veggies and bring to slow boil. Add chicken and sausage. Add rice, cover and bake at 350° F for 1 hour. Do not open and stir while cooking. When done, gently fold together to mix.

Last edited:
IG,
I ain't no Cajun but I sure eats me sum:biggrin:
Friend of mine just went back to work for Anderson Fish Farm's, largest in the world, so I'll be stocked up on sum crawdads.

Got my pepper seeds in so they will be in the greenhouse next month, even got me some ghost pepper seed to kick up my Tabasco sauce somemore.

Todd
I bought Ghost Chilies seeds also. I got some yellow ones too.:s7435:

Back