Favorite handle for your thin 6-8" Chef Blade

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
Anybody have a favorite handle they just love on a thin chef blade thats 6"-8" in length? What makes the handle so comfortable to you? Please post a pic so we can see what you mean.... Theres such a variety out there from octagon to oval etc....I know this is a lot of personal preference, but I'd like to see what you guys think.

Thanks Larry

My favorite would be stabilized wood, and maple is always my top choice. I like maple because of the variety, especially with spalting.
For pics check out Daves thread about my knife.

Del
Thanks I appreciate the answer. Tell me tho what are your opinions of the handle Shape.......Does it matter with thin blades to have a straighter oval or octagon handle like your gyuto? Do we consider the grips that are possible? Pinch grip ? Do we need a different handle shape (maybe straighter) on thinner blades in maybe a chopper style or does it does it all come down to personal preference? Great looking blade by the way.....LArry

Larry,
There are a great many professionals and serious foodies who love the octagon style of handle. I have been using one for 2 1/2 months now myself and can see the benifits for myself. As for the pinch grip with the octagon handle it works great, and more comfortable than you might imagine. I am focused on the gyoto right now, but the octagon handle works well on the gyoto sujhiki and even the petty, and I doubt that I will be making other than the occasional knife outside those three styles fo awhile.
Thanks,

Back