Faster knife sanding?

52 Ford

I'm new here. Also, I know this is an often discussed topic...

Anyway, I'm making a knife for someone right now. It's a clip point skinning knife with about a 4 inch blade forged from some alloy steel. I HAD the blade hand sanded up to about 1000 grit and put a scratch in it (came out of the vise. Hit the ground which was covered in loose, coarse abrasive grit). Is there any way to cheat? I have one, 1/4" long scratch I'm working on right now, then I have to work back up from 320 grit. The blade is very hard - a lot harder than I'd normally make a bade, so sanding is very slow. I'm about to say screw it and sand blast it and leave it matte.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If you are hitting it with 320 and it's not coming out, drop to 220 and use the paper like it is free. Think of it this way. You are not sanding a scratch out, you are sanding the rest of the blade down to the level of the scratch. It must have hit a diamond on the floor if the scratch is that deep from a fall though. That is a tuff break and I know its aggravating.

Ted is right - I LOVE matte finish :) I spent my time looking for mirror finish and they just don't stay "mirror finish" if being used. Mirror is for display only.

Chris is right, it's not just a "little scratch" that has to be sanded out, it's the whole blade has to be sanded down to depth of scratch. Did I mention I LOVE matte finish?

This guy has a very cool sanding device, but I can't see enough of it to try and make one...

Go to 9:14 and around 10:45 to see what I'm talking about.

I think that Ed Caffrey adapted an oscillating sander to sand his blades with. You might google something like "Ed Caffrey, oscillating sander" and see what you pull up. He also has a page on Knife Network.

Doug

Ted is right - I LOVE matte finish :) I spent my time looking for mirror finish and they just don't stay "mirror finish" if being used. Mirror is for display only.

Chris is right, it's not just a "little scratch" that has to be sanded out, it's the whole blade has to be sanded down to depth of scratch. Did I mention I LOVE matte finish?

They don't stay mirror and if you use them they look like HELL!!

Last edited:
Been busy rebuilding a belt grinder, so I haven't been able to finish the knife. Got the scratch out, but decided a matte finish sounds pretty good! LOL I'm going to do some test pieces tomorrow and see what grit I want to finish with. The only things left to do before I can send it out the door are to finish the guard and fit the handle. I'll post some pictures when it's finished.

They don't stay mirror and if youbuse them they look like HELL!!
Right about that. Just figured I'd try something different. Between the grind profile, type of steel, and how hard the blade is, it is NOT a utility knife. It's for an avid hunter and specifically for skinning. So, I don't reckon scratches aren"t too big an issue, but I want it to make sure it stays nice.

...and if it's not stainless...gonna patina anyway....but folks are like crows N' raccoons....they love SHINY...lol.
lol. I'll leave the guard shiny, it's brass, so it'll be easy enough to maintain the shiny-ness. 95% sure the blade is 4140 and again - skinning knife - probably gonna get that "used" by the end of this coming deer season.

You need to remove the hook and loop (Velcro) part from the pad and use glue to attach the adhesive IIRC from Ed's post. You may also need to put a better backer on the piece, like hard rubber or leather or something as well to attach the sandpaper to.

So, 95% certain that it's 4140. Do I see a problem here? Not very much carbon.

Doug
What is max hardness for that? mid 50s...? Would be okay 40 years ago but most guys would whine about that today...

sometimes I use my A2 blades un-heat-treated to test geometry and handle fit, etc...they actually work pretty well...but obviously don't hold an edge forever. I think I could skin with one if I had a soft arky along for the ride....

...and if that is much harder than your other blades your makin' em pretty soft...(perhaps it's not 4140?)

61 is the new 55....though. lol.

Back