Everyone remembers their first…..

Edwardshandmadeknives

EAC10AA4-3906-483D-B625-F61697B094E4.jpeg
First sword, that is! I’ve always wanted to make a sword, and now after banging on metal for 30 years I am finally getting around to it. I wanted one for myself mostly, and finally figured out what I wanted to make and how I was going to do it. So, this one is drawn up is based off of a 16th century German sword. It is two inches longer than the one I looked at (72”). It will be 2 1/4” wide at its widest point, not counting the parry hooks. It will have a fuller, and be .300 thick at the guard, distally tapered. I’m going to be doing kind of a combination of forging and stock removal, from 5160. Fittings will be blued and heat treated 1045. Not sure on the handle material yet. I think some stag would be super cool, if I can find a piece that’s the right size. This blade was kind of interesting to look at. Typical flame blades will have the bevels follow the edge since they are ground at a constant angle. This one, the bevel was straight, and the was a steeper angle on the inside curve than the outside. I’m guessing that this will be a monster to grind.

That blade geometry looks very involved. Best of luck to you! I hope you'll post updates to this thread as you go.
Yes, I’ll keep ya updated! I’m also planning on doing a video of the build, so if it turns out I’ll probably have a YouTube video of it too. You are right about the grind. It must have really been fun to make this back in the 1500’s!

I am forever and always amazed at what the old world masters were able to pull off. If you even recommended their best tools and practices today people would think you were insane or an utter nincompoop. Everyone knows before CNC it was all semi-sharp rocks and pokey sticks.

Amazing project and pleased do keep us updated to progress. When you say "Typical flame blades", is that the wavy (scallops like a breadknife) edge I see in the drawing?

Amazing project and pleased do keep us updated to progress. When you say "Typical flame blades", is that the wavy (scallops like a breadknife) edge I see in the drawing?
Yeah, the flame blades are serpentine like the drawing. Apparently how they were beveled kind of varies. Got my templates made and glued them onto thin pine boards, I’ll shape them soon.

Back